Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen Y/Z shooter trends

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    PF always ahead of the curve.

In Alaska it has been 40's/50's and rainy. I loaned my friend, used to Phoenix temps a battle belt, 19 with a 509T and a rig, to shoot with us out at the gravel pit east of town. Try to keep a mag loaded with penetrators on the belt for the whole session.

Name:  IMG_5998.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  53.4 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I only started competing a few months ago and have been shooting from AIWB. I’ve seen one guy competing from a battle belt with ALS holster. The hooded sun shirts are really popular. Sometimes I think half the competitors are wearing them. They look comfortable. I need to get a few.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    I think the Kuiu is top of the heap for sun hoodies and their price can't be beat.

https://www.kuiu.com/products/gila-ls-hoodie-black
    If we are tangent on sun hoodie. I currently wear this https://truewerk.com/collections/men...ens-fit-3-pack

I wear the hi viz when I am feeling blue collar

I never heard of a hooded sun shirt. Academy to the rescue!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I never heard of a hooded sun shirt. Academy to the rescue!
    It's usually just called a "sun hoody", at least in the outdoors circles. I've been using them for a couple years now, basically any time I'm doing anything outdoors, paired with a visor for air flow. I personally like the Outdoor Research Astroman the best for anything that might have to deal with a bit of abrasion, the fabric isn't like some of my other sun hoodies (e.g., Black Diamond Alpenglow Pro, Patagonia Comfort, Outdoor Research ActiveIce Spectrum) that tend to be more snaggy on rocks and plants. I've also tried the long sleeve sun shirts paired with a hat with a cape/havelock, but those can have a draw string that can cause a snag during the draw or possibly the reload.

If they already got a battle belt, why not use it? A dedicated gamer setup isn't going to be a huge performance impact, and they can use the match as practice for their LARPing. At least for me, USPSA is a means, not a ends, it's just a way to have fun while getting some trigger time in with a setup that I would use outside of competition. I run strictly my CCW for USPSA these days, but a battle belt for Steel Challenge since concealment isn't allowed there, and used a battle belt for my first few years in USPSA.

Yeah, I was pretty sure we've done this topic recently.

My thoughts, again:

1. A lot of USPSA matches are still run by Fudds who shit their pants at the thought of someone working from AIWB. (I confirmed this recently at my home range).

2. A retention holster is a lot more practical than a race holster. Hunting? Check. Back packing? Check. Etc., etc.

3. Med gear on shooter's kit? That's awesome. Abovementioned fudds still think applying a TQ means limb amputation.

4. Younger shooters at matches? That's extra awesome. If the 2a is going to survive, the shooting community desperately needs to attract young shooters.

Pro-tip on hooded sun shirts: if you decided to shoot a stage with a hood up, make sure to still have your ball cap on.

Regards, Charlie Mike Noshoot with a hood over his eyes.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

At the range practicing, and with new shooters at matches, I have been observing a definite trend with 20-35 year old male shooters. I was reminded of that again this morning. Pulling into the pistol bays, there was an FDE Jeep Gladiator with recovery boards and other over landing gear. Two guys, probably mid to late 20's, operator look and clothing, FDE battle belts. As we left, I saw them shooting. They were back to back, 90 degrees from the targets, and simultaneously turning, drawing and shooting from retention.

At matches, many to most new shooters are Glocks with a comp or a Stacatto, out of a battle belt, and usually with a tourniquet and dump pouch on the back of their battle belt. This is way more common than Gabe White inspired AIWB USPSA which seems to have been supplanted by the belt belt. I am not sure of a USPSA or IDPA division that really fits what they seem to want to do today.

Is this just something that is happening where I am, or are you noticing the same trend in your areas?
    I haven't been actively involved in the shooting sports or matches for nearly ten years.

What you describe was happening at least that far back, probably even further. Maybe as much as 20 years ago.

I think this is something less to do with generations and more to do with age.

Although I've seen fat 50 year old accountants doing the exact thing you describe too.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List