Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen Y/Z shooter trends

I'm turning 45, and I've never shot competitions. I'd like to start, but it always has felt like one of those hobbies that is difficult to get into without knowing anyone locally that competes. Now, you all are telling me if I show up with just jeans and an untucked polo I'll look out of place? Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Hoodies keep other shooters’ brass from going down the back of my collar. Sun hoodies mean sweating less, when wearing a hoody in summer. (Summer lasts about ten months, around here.) Patagonia has been doing sun hoodies for a number of years, but they did not catch-on, until relatively recently. I have hoodies, made with wicking fabric, made by Patagonia, Arc’Teryx, Columbia, and Helly Hansen, and maybe another brand, or two.

My “battle belt” is my old Safariland police duty belt, with the velcro that matches the under-belt. I reckon that I could take some sandpaper to the shinier outer layer. The holster is a Safariland 6360, an ALS + SLS Level III holster, for the Glock G34. A QLS receptacle is ready to accept a second 6360 holster body, or an additional mag carrier. This rig is convenient for range use; not every range visit, but, some of the time.

Some of the amazing lack of muzzle awareness has me thinking that I should wear body armor, if not my plate carrier, any time I go to a publicly-accessible shooting range. I do keep a plate carrier, that has Kevlar backers, hanging in a readily-accessible spot. I removed the Velcro’ed-on “Police” patches, after I retired. At least one local school is near enough for me to hear the sound of gunfire, I did receive my active shooter training, back in the day, and, so, well, duty may yet call my name. I may move notably slower, lately, but if nothing else, I can provide a support role.

My name has two entries, at a web site that documents people killed by area LEOs. It has been 30+ years, since either incident, but, one should never say never. The internet has removed any semblance of privacy; anyone can be found.
    I've always thought gun ranges, epically public ones, are a reasonable place to wear armor.

Got a friend that is/was manager for indoor gunrange couple cities over from me, they have one or two sets of III or IIIa available for the RO.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Just from observing your laser-like focus and change in demeanor when that obviously out of place ne’er do well walked by our table at the BBQ restaurant, I’d rather pursue an active shooter with you than some of my active colleagues.

Some people are born to hunt dangerous men. Seriously, guys, observing Rex was like watching a Belgian Mal getting ready to put in work.
    Well, maybe more Basset Hound than Belgian Mal.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    I'm turning 45, and I've never shot competitions. I'd like to start, but it always has felt like one of those hobbies that is difficult to get into without knowing anyone locally that competes. Now, you all are telling me if I show up with just jeans and an untucked polo I'll look out of place? Crap!
    My experience has been this with starting 2-Gun, USPSA, and now IDPA.

Find a match near you. Contact the match director ahead of time on PractiScore if you have questions or just tell them you’re new and coming. Ask if they have a squad they’d recommend and any questions you may have.

Have a holster, spare magazine carrier (atleast two), a pistol case or range bag. Bring 200-ish rounds of ammo (should be sufficient for USPSA or IDPA). Show up, put on your holster and magazine carrier, etc. leave your gun cased. Go to the sign up, identify yourself, mention your brand new and if you do talk to the match director mention you did (you may very well be introducing yourself to him). Get assigned to a squad.

Then ask where the designated safety area is. Go there holster your handgun and do not touch it again until you’re up to shoot outside of that safety area. Then go find your squad - I’d immediately tell the range officer you’re brand new and that you’d prefer not to go first. They’ll probably accommodate this. Then introduce yourself to folks, ask what they’re shooting, how long have they been doing it, etc., have your mags loaded when you get there.

Grab some pasters, help paste and keep an ear for when you’re on deck, in the hole, etc. (don’t paste before you go through an stage) and talk to people.

You’ll make friends quickly and just keep showing up.

Only other thing is be safe and have *FUN*. If you don’t like the squad you’re with - sign up with another one next time, etc. you’ll find your folks and then before long you’ll be looking for them in PractiScore and signing up with them.

The *only* pressure to perform is the pressure you bring and put on yourself so just go at a comfortable pace and focus on doing everything in a controlled and safe fashion.

I’d recommend you go shoot a competition with what you have before buying *anything* if at all possible because you don’t know what you don’t know and you may not like it or you may want to shoot something different. But you kind of won’t know until you try.

I wish you the best sir!

Some guys like to go and observe and that’s cool! I just have always competed. YMMV.

ETA: I forgot to mention - I haven’t gone to a match with anyone I know before hand yet. I started all three of those match types by myself. I made friends along the way and sometimes friends/family became interested and went with me later. But that’s how I’ve gone knowing no one.
    Last edited by BWT; 07-19-2023 at 09:09 PM.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Yeah, I was pretty sure we've done this topic recently.

My thoughts, again:

1. A lot of USPSA matches are still run by Fudds who shit their pants at the thought of someone working from AIWB. (I confirmed this recently at my home range).

2. A retention holster is a lot more practical than a race holster. Hunting? Check. Back packing? Check. Etc., etc.

3. Med gear on shooter's kit? That's awesome. Abovementioned fudds still think applying a TQ means limb amputation.

4. Younger shooters at matches? That's extra awesome. If the 2a is going to survive, the shooting community desperately needs to attract young shooters.

Yeah, this cracks me up. I’ve seem some threads, maybe here and also on benos about this. “Gamers” (not that there’s anything wrong with that) with hanger holsters that they have to unlock in order to draw their guns from, lest their 4 lbs. open gun fall out from walking around, some of whom have the entire contraption covered in canvas between stages, seriously complaining about the LARPing “Timmys” with a tie-down tactical rig. mind you! While they’re wearing race gear polyester shirts, plastered with the names of the companies that don’t actually sponsor them.

I’m new to USPSA as an active competitor, but I definitely know the history and I can’t help but wonder which holster those complainers would consider more “Practical.”

Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    Yeah, this cracks me up. I’ve seem some threads, maybe here and also on benos about this. “Gamers” (not that there’s anything wrong with that) with hanger holsters that they have to unlock in order to draw their guns from, lest their 4 lbs. open gun fall out from walking around, some of whom have the entire contraption covered in canvas between stages, seriously complaining about the LARPing “Timmys” with a tie-down tactical rig. mind you! While they’re wearing race gear polyester shirts, plastered with the names of the companies that don’t actually sponsor them.

I’m new to USPSA as an active competitor, but I definitely know the history and I can’t help but wonder which holster those complainers would consider more “Practical.”
    I may not have read every post in this thread, but who is complaining about new shooters, and competing out of a battle belt set-up? While the battle belt isn't going to provide the fastest draw and reload, I way prefer it to some FBI cant holster with partial trigger guard coverage. On most stages, neither appendix nor a battle belt is much of a disadvantage as a high percentage of starts involve movement.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Excuse me if your post was tongue-in-cheek, BUT, that has never been my experience. Show up with what you have, listen, be safe, ask questions about what you don't know, and folks are generally glad to help, or mentor if you will.

You can adjust dress, if you feel it's necessary, on your next trip.

Most folks want to be helpful is my belief, and my experiences have borne that out.

ETA: BWT's post was spot on good info.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Most people that use gear (too much or too little) as a reason not to shoot a match just simply don't really want to shoot a match.

If you're really that nervous, make some time to go watch.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Excuse me if your post was tongue-in-cheek, BUT, that has never been my experience. Show up with what you have, listen, be safe, ask questions about what you don't know, and folks are generally glad to help, or mentor if you will.

You can adjust dress, if you feel it's necessary, on your next trip.

Most folks want to be helpful is my belief, and my experiences have borne that out.

ETA: BWT's post was spot on good info.
    I shoot a "defensive handgun" match at a local club. There are guys that come in full costume and then there are guys like me that show up in what I wear everyday and look as tactical as a black powder rifle. I shoot my Glock 26 from a standard IWB. I plan to switch to AIWB so I am shooting exactly like I carry daily. I think its all about why you are shooting a match. If you are shooting to win then you may benefit from a full size gun and a certain holster or belt. If you are shooting to simply get better then run what ya brung will work just fine. I have a friend that shoots a 34 and wins or comes in top 3 every month. I shoot a 26 and am ecstatic to get in the top half. We both have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I may not have read every post in this thread, but who is complaining about new shooters, and competing out of a battle belt set-up? While the battle belt isn't going to provide the fastest draw and reload, I way prefer it to some FBI cant holster with partial trigger guard coverage. On most stages, neither appendix nor a battle belt is much of a disadvantage as a high percentage of starts involve movement.

As I mentioned, it wasn't just in this thread, but a sentiment I've seen expressed here and over at benos--perhaps it was more so over there. Makes me giggle. I don't have any problem with the racers, just found it funny that *some* of them get worked up about shooters using actual shooting gear. Many of us are LARPers to some degree, but at least those "battle belts" could actually be used in the field. FWIW I use concealment-friendly OWB holsters (JMCK) and standard kydex magpouches. I'll eventually move to AIWB, but I'm new to both AIWN+B and the matches, so figured it's best to not scare anyone or do something stupid. My main goal is to improve my practical shooting skills, but I definitely pay attention to where I place in each match (currently middling). I don't see myself moving to either a battle belt or a hanger holster and magnet mag holder (not that there's anything wrong with that), but it wouldn't matter anyway--my gear is not what is holding me back.

User Tag List