Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen Y/Z shooter trends

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think the Kuiu is top of the heap for sun hoodies and their price can't be beat.

https://www.kuiu.com/products/gila-ls-hoodie-black
    Thanks for the link. I’ll give that a look.

Student
    As long as we are discussing trends, the hooded sun shirt has become the default upper garment that I see at matches and the range.
    I think the first time I saw one was worn by you or Glen Stilson.

LARP

Some of these guys are 3 gunners so LO / Open guns work in both divisions.

Some are just LARPers.

But I have NEVER met one of those guys who wasn’t nice and willing to learn or ask for help at a match.

I don’t care what they wear as long as they have great attitudes.

Some are the hardest working at the range and during clean up.

They’re some of my favorite new shooters because they’re hungry for improvement most of the time.

It’s also nice that we have an objective performance metric at matches so any initial outward judgment is promptly supplanted by skill based (most of the time).

I look like a middle aged dad bod golfer. Usually LARPers don’t pay me much mind. Until after shooting the first stage….

It was like that at an IDPA Level 3 match. I was the only AIWB from a polo. I didn’t look “serious” to the vest crowd… until we started shooting. Then they came up to talk and ask.

Doesn’t matter what you wear…just as long as you are there!

Like the song goes.
    Last edited by JCN; 07-18-2023 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Some of these guys are 3 gunners so LO / Open guns work in both divisions.

Some are just LARPers.

But I have NEVER met one of those guys who wasn’t nice and willing to learn or ask for help at a match.

I don’t care what they wear as long as they have great attitudes.

Some are the hardest working at the range and during clean up.

They’re some of my favorite new shooters because they’re hungry for improvement most of the time.

It’s also nice that we have an objective performance metric at matches so any initial outward judgment is promptly supplanted by skill based (most of the time).

I look like a middle aged dad bod golfer. Usually LARPers don’t pay me much mind. Until after shooting the first stage….
    I am 32 and I was fortunate to find pistol-forum and was steered towards mostly shooting from concealment. With that said, I also have a foot in the other side because my last job. The best pistol shooters I have met and shot with were average guys from pistol-forum. I think there is a big divide between certain sub cultures of the gun world, which is really unfortunate. I just care that someone takes safety seriously and can shoot or is willing to learn. other than that they could dress in a crop top and I wouldn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I am 32 and I was fortunate to find pistol-forum and was steered towards mostly shooting from concealment. With that said, I also have a foot in the other side because my last job. The best pistol shooters I have met and shot with were average guys from pistol-forum. I think there is a big divide between certain sub cultures of the gun world, which is really unfortunate. I just care that someone takes safety seriously and can shoot or is willing to learn. other than that they could dress in a crop top and I wouldn't care.
    Amen, brother.

Recently took a class that had a young lady that fits right in with this.

Full duty belt including a Pmag, Sig P360 in drop leg Level 2, belt mounted tourniquet/med kit, and a range bag packed full of ammo and mags. She obviously was in the gym a lot when not on the range and had the obligatory tats. I don't mind, she could shoot and took the training seriously.

Site Supporter
    As long as we are discussing trends, the hooded sun shirt has become the default upper garment that I see at matches and the range.
    You say it like there's something wrong with that. Hooded sun shirts are ALL I wear to the range these days. I hate lathering on sunscreen. KUIU are some of my favorites.

I compete in a battle belt, complete with ALS, cuff cases, IFAK and tourniquet for some matches because that's what I'm issued (I don't personally care for it). I've also worn my plate carrier for some matches with a carbine since I carry my rifle mags on my PC, not on the belt. If the stage didn't require a reload, I ditched the PC quick. I'm faster with actual comp gear.

But yes, I've noticed the battle belts and IFAKs among people that are not "required" to wear such items. I personally think it's a bit silly, but it doesn't hurt anything I guess.

Absotively a great addition. "Found" them last year and have a few.

We have some of those here but we have plenty of people who shoot from concealment, nearly universally AIWB.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    You say it like there's something wrong with that. Hooded sun shirts are ALL I wear to the range these days. I hate lathering on sunscreen. KUIU are some of my favorites.

I compete in a battle belt, complete with ALS, cuff cases, IFAK and tourniquet for some matches because that's what I'm issued (I don't personally care for it). I've also worn my plate carrier for some matches with a carbine since I carry my rifle mags on my PC, not on the belt. If the stage didn't require a reload, I ditched the PC quick. I'm faster with actual comp gear.

But yes, I've noticed the battle belts and IFAKs among people that are not "required" to wear such items. I personally think it's a bit silly, but it doesn't hurt anything I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Absotively a great addition. "Found" them last year and have a few.
    2018, gosh time flies!

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....x-Phasic-Hoody
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List