Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen Y/Z shooter trends

Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    As I mentioned, it wasn't just in this thread, but a sentiment I've seen expressed here and over at benos--perhaps it was more so over there. Makes me giggle. I don't have any problem with the racers, just found it funny that *some* of them get worked up about shooters using actual shooting gear. Many of us are LARPers to some degree, but at least those "battle belts" could actually be used in the field. FWIW I use concealment-friendly OWB holsters (JMCK) and standard kydex magpouches. My main goal is to improve my practical shooting skills, but I definitely pay attention to where I place in each match (currently middling). I don't see myself moving to either a battle belt or a hanger holster and magnet mag holder (not that there's anything wrong with that), but it wouldn't matter anyway--my gear is not what is holding me back.
    My least favorite part about shooting Open now is having to use a holster with a lock to keep my blaster from falling out! Frame mounted optics sure limit holster choices.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    If you are shooting to simply get better then run what ya brung will work just fine. I have a friend that shoots a 34 and wins or comes in top 3 every month. I shoot a 26 and am ecstatic to get in the top half. We both have fun.
    This is my attitude as well. I’ve been shooting USPSA matches for months using revolvers—including a small frame 856 from AIWB concealed–in order to get mo’ betta. I am never going to be competitive with that set up, but I still get something out of it. The assembled crew of regulars who score way higher than me do too; I can pretty much count on hearing one of the big dogs say to newer shooters “watch this guy run a revolver” through the electronic muffs about half the time I show up. I always have fun, regardless of glacial times compared to the better limited shooters.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Well, maybe more Basset Hound than Belgian Mal.
    Nah, a basset would have been staring at his food.

(source: have a basshole at home)

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    At the range practicing, and with new shooters at matches, I have been observing a definite trend with 20-35 year old male shooters. I was reminded of that again this morning. Pulling into the pistol bays, there was an FDE Jeep Gladiator with recovery boards and other over landing gear. Two guys, probably mid to late 20's, operator look and clothing, FDE battle belts. As we left, I saw them shooting. They were back to back, 90 degrees from the targets, and simultaneously turning, drawing and shooting from retention.

At matches, many to most new shooters are Glocks with a comp or a Stacatto, out of a battle belt, and usually with a tourniquet and dump pouch on the back of their battle belt. This is way more common than Gabe White inspired AIWB USPSA which seems to have been supplanted by the belt belt. I am not sure of a USPSA or IDPA division that really fits what they seem to want to do today.

Is this just something that is happening where I am, or are you noticing the same trend in your areas?
    The "advanced" pistol class I took last summer had the same type: everyone but me was wearing battle belts; I was the only one going from concealed. In fact, the instructor asked me if I had another holster to use (other than my AIWB). When I replied with something along the lines of, "Train how you fight, yo.", he asked me to tuck in my shirt and go from there.
    I'm a "7" compared to most gun-guys, which means I'm a "3" on P-F.

The most current trend I've observed, is the inverse relationship of gear cost to skill level.
    Participation does not equal Proficiency
    - Mike Pannone

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    The most current trend I've observed, is the inverse relationship of gear cost to skill level.
    I drew this with my finger back in 2012...

Name:  158344921_3844757312248009_3615294562900733764_n.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  30.1 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I drew this with my finger back in 2012...
    Reminds of one of Kyle Defoor's quips, "I know dudes who followed war criminals in Bosnia with a pistol and a 35mm camera but the internet says I can't get potting soil at WalMart without an extra mag."

Edit: I get there’s an eye-roll element to the above, but this is GD and not a TTP forum.
    Last edited by PNWTO; 07-20-2023 at 01:08 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

The battle belt shooters I have seen, by and large, seem to have quite good pistols and support gear. Much higher quality than the typical new USPSA shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    The "advanced" pistol class I took last summer had the same type: everyone but me was wearing battle belts; I was the only one going from concealed. In fact, the instructor asked me if I had another holster to use (other than my AIWB). When I replied with something along the lines of, "Train how you fight, yo.", he asked me to tuck in my shirt and go from there.
    I noticed this taking No Fail Pistol a couple months ago - me and I think only two other guys running AIWB. That’s a bit skewed though because this class was solid majority cops so the majority of the holsters being ALS made perfect sense. And it made sense that the three AIWBs were three of the handful of non-LE guys.

Also relevant to the last part, Chuck had no problem with it. Actually, after one of the relays I was on where I was a little slower than usual into the holster, he made an “instructor development” comment that when running a class with AIWB guys in it, it’s important to give them plenty of time between reps to holster so they aren’t rushed. And one of the three of us was an assistant instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I noticed this taking No Fail Pistol a couple months ago - me and I think only two other guys running AIWB. That’s a bit skewed though because this class was solid majority cops so the majority of the holsters being ALS made perfect sense. And it made sense that the three AIWBs were three of the handful of non-LE guys.

Also relevant to the last part, Chuck had no problem with it. Actually, after one of the relays I was on where I was a little slower than usual into the holster, he made an “instructor development” comment that when running a class with AIWB guys in it, it’s important to give them plenty of time between reps to holster so they aren’t rushed. And one of the three of us was an assistant instructor.
    The only caveat is if someone's gear choice significantly impacts the pace of the class. I am thinking of a Raven Vanguard type thing, where you can't efficiently holster between strings. I still remember a guy shooting a lever gun as a Steel Challenge match -- I would love to have that part of my life back that he spent loading up between each of his five strings on each stage!

User Tag List