Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eye Pro Help

Another vote here for ESS. I've been using the Crossbow models for years. Great quality/price point

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I need narrow, and have a bunch of the ESS ICE Naro, and the ICE is wider.
    You can buy the kit with multiple lenses, and add temple kits for not much money.
    Thanks for that! Price is nice, too.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Oakley Alpha’s are great eye pro! I’ve gone through about 3-4 sets of M-Frames on the job. M-Frames will eventually delaminate starting at the bottom (for me), but it didn’t really affect the field of vision until it gets bad. I usually only wear the clear lenses when shooting unless it is extremely bright. In my opinion the Alpha vents better, has more coverage, and do not delaminate as fast as the traditional M-Frame. I’ve worn them daily as sunglasses for about 4yrs, rotating 2 pair.

I use the goggles on my helmet at work and they take some abuse (do not use the insert).

I also have a few pair of the ESS Crossbows. The Crossbows do not fit as flat/clean under peltors/ear pro as the Oakley’s. I have a bigger noggin 7 1/2 hat and wider face. Love the Alpha system! Crossbows are mainly used as spare sunglasses or back up range glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Thanks for that! Price is nice, too.
    Just noticed that the specific link I linked says not compatible with the Naro, but dunno why it wouldn't be.

Name:  Not.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  6.0 KB

Here is the one that shows up in my past orders. I didn't know there was a difference.

Just going to mention my preferred solution is the Smith Echo Elite Pivlock system. Works great with muff type earpro and meets the mil standards for impact. Stainless steel earpieces are very thin and won’t break your earpro seal, and the entire kit comes with three lenses in a nice case, for less than the cost of some Oakley replacement lenses.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00THMGM6S...A2ELF5ZSH4DJSS

Though there is something to be said about my Oakley Katos.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Here's where I landed in case anyone's curious: I went home last night and pulled out my Smiths again and took a deep dive into them. The shooter's array I already have is really what I want. My clear lens wasn't in as bad of shape (honestly, really great shape after cleaning it) as I thought. The "Ignitor" (pink/persimmon/whatever) that is my favorite color is toast and delaminated like I remembered. BUT I found somone on ebay with a bunch of NOS of these lenses and bought a couple. Then, I found a backdoor into the Smith site where my Elite discount still applied. I also learned that the Aegis and Echo use the same lens, so I bought a pair of Echo 2's for a great price and also got a spare clear lens on the hookup as well. My hope with the Echo 2 is that the thinner arms will do better with my earpro. All feedback and reviews I found seem to indicate that it will. Learning from some here that the Oakleys also delaminate was incredibly helpful because it prevented me from chasing a solution that wouldn't have been a solution at all.

Thanks again everyone!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Interesting. I've used various Oakleys since 1990 and not once have I had a lens lose coating or "delaminate". One wonders if some people's sweat is more reactive than others when I see stories like that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Interesting. I've used various Oakleys since 1990 and not once have I had a lens lose coating or "delaminate". One wonders if some people's sweat is more reactive than others when I see stories like that.
    Same experience here…
    I’ve worn Oakley M-Frames w/ Black Iridium “Strike” lenses daily and while shooting, driving and running since 2001. I’ve replaced lenses occasionally (like, every 3-4 years) when they get a significant scratch in the field of vision, but never seen one delaminate. Since I’ve started using corrective lenses, the Oakleys are now relegated primarily to shooting and exercise. With two frames and probably 4 additional lenses in reserve, I’m probably set for life.

I’ve had plenty of Oakleys delaminate.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Just going to mention my preferred solution is the Smith Echo Elite Pivlock system. Works great with muff type earpro and meets the mil standards for impact. Stainless steel earpieces are very thin and won’t break your earpro seal, and the entire kit comes with three lenses in a nice case, for less than the cost of some Oakley replacement lenses.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00THMGM6S...A2ELF5ZSH4DJSS

Though there is something to be said about my Oakley Katos.
    What’s that mask situation? Lead mitigation?

User Tag List