Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W 15-3 2" Combat Masterpiece

S&W 15-3 2" Combat Masterpiece

Howdy folks. I haven't been posting much since I retired last November. Been traveling and doing all the projects around the house that I had put off for years. However, I did find time to buy another K-Frame revolver. I thought I would share it with you.

Just bought this yesterday. S&W 15-3 2" barrel. From what I could find on the internet, the serial number indicates it was made sometime in 1972. My LGS told me they bought this revolver and a bunch of other guns from a little old lady whose husband had passed on. It's in really nice condition but not mint. It does not appear to have been carried, no holster wear. It does have a few small scratches just above the trigger guard. My guess is it was kept in the old fella's nightstand drawer.

Everything seems tight & right mechanically. Smooth easy DA pull, light crisp SA pull. Haven't taken it out to the range yet. I will try to find time next week.

Thinking of grip options. It seems to me most of the after-market grip's are going to be bigger than I would like. Maybe keep the stock grips on and install Tyler or BK Grips. Keep it old school.

Here are a couple of pics:

I dont know if anyone is making any currently, but some two piece smooth target grips can but cut to the bottom of the frame for the same level of compactness but still have the filled in area behind the trigger guard. I have a set of factory smooth targets so done, its nicer feeling than the grip adapters, at least to me. I also took just a bit out of the amount of wood in the area behind the trigger guard to suit me.

I looked to see if Hogue made their bantam grips in wood for square butt K, it didnt look like they did, unfortunately.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

If you're ok with g10 the vz square butt grips are awesome. They're very nearly cut to the bottom of the frame and thin.

Beautiful gun

Here's my wife's m15-3
    Name:  IMG_20211003_125752~2.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  33.8 KB
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

I passed on one about a decade ago and still regret it.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Good eye, and they are good shooters. A retired state trooper who worked in dispatch at our SO carried it's brother and he shot that 15-3 2" very accurately. He was ahead of his time, he carried it with some custom full wadcutters. We who were the cognicenti on such matters just giggled up our sleeve at the old Trooper. A sleeper of a K frame but a sleeper just the same.
    Congrats and enjoy.

I'm looking hard at these for a carry gun. Are they only manufactured as a square butt?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by onehalfmvsquared View Post
    I'm looking hard at these for a carry gun. Are they only manufactured as a square butt?
    You mean “were” they only manufactured as a square butt ? Yes.

2” model 15s have not been made in many years.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    If you're ok with g10 the vz square butt grips are awesome. They're very nearly cut to the bottom of the frame and thin.

Beautiful gun

Here's my wife's m15-3
    Name:  IMG_20211003_125752~2.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  33.8 KB
    G10 on a classic revolver isn’t for everyone I suppose. I’m not necessarily opposed to the idea, but I think it might be neat to keep it period correct. I’m still in the deciding stage. Thanks for showing me the option. It’s a good idea.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I dont know if anyone is making any currently, but some two piece smooth target grips can but cut to the bottom of the frame for the same level of compactness but still have the filled in area behind the trigger guard. I have a set of factory smooth targets so done, its nicer feeling than the grip adapters, at least to me. I also took just a bit out of the amount of wood in the area behind the trigger guard to suit me.

I looked to see if Hogue made their bantam grips in wood for square butt K, it didnt look like they did, unfortunately.
    BK grip adapter. With one, those Magna PC grips are damn near perfect.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    BK grip adapter. With one, those Magna PC grips are damn near perfect.
    I know theyre popular, and Ive thought about trying one again, but every time ive handled one,...they just dont work for me.

The cut down smooth targets

Name:  10 project 3.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  100.5 KB
    Last edited by Malamute; 07-18-2023 at 08:00 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List