Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: New Trijicon RMR/SRO Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    More RCR info:

Oh that makes it more clear regarding the Capstan screw.

Basically it slides into an open slot and then captures down.

So in that way you could theoretically use different length screws or trim to fit as needed.

Hopefully they have the foresight to include different thread pitches too for aftermarket mounts.

There are some RMR mounts it won't work with though... like the ones that use screw posts and smaller screws inside of them.

The battery cap protection afforded by the "RMR Horns" looks like an excellent feature.

I am very dumb technically, and in general. Would both screws need to be turned at the same time to affix the optic? The way I understand this, optic will need to be held suspended over a plate to clear both screws inserted in their slots, screws will need to get aligned with their respective holes, and then turned more or less simultaneously?
    Last edited by YVK; 07-29-2023 at 07:22 AM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I am very dumb technically, and in general. Would both screws need to be turned at the same time to affix the optic? The way I understand this, optic will need to be held suspended over a plate to clear both screws inserted in their slots, screws will need to get aligned with their respective holes, and then turned more or less simultaneously?
    Wouldn’t have to be at the same time.

Think of lug nuts on a car wheel. You don’t have to turn all at the same time.

You snug up a little on one side and then go across and snug up on the other side. Then tighten down.

What the side cut out for the slot on the side of the RCR does is allow you to pass the screw without having to lift it over an edge (so you don’t need as tall of a relief area).

So I would imagine that you put the RCR in place on top of RMR bosses.

Then slide the capstan screws into the holes on each side.

Hand snug or lightly snug the screw on each side.

Then use the tool to tighten each side medium amount.

Then final torque down (may not be necessary depending on the torque requirement).

If the capstan screw cap relief area isn’t deep then it would look like:

1. Lightly thread one screw.
    2. Slide one side of the RCR into place (that’s where the side cut slot helps)
    3. Put other side screw into slot and lightly tighten down.

Alternate sides like lug nuts to finish snugging.

If there are no RMR bosses, then it can be on deck height.

If there are RMR bosses then you’ll have to clear the 2mm or so.

You could set the first screw to nearly that height before sliding in the RCR.
    Last edited by JCN; 07-29-2023 at 07:20 AM.

Can't wait for independent users' reports on installation process.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

The capstan screw installation seems like it would be kind of tedious. It's not like you have to install one every day, but I pity the LE armorers that will have to do dozens or hundreds of these. I imagine that they can be torqued within an acceptable range by going to tight plus a certain number of "holes." You see stuff like that sometimes on AR handguards (the ALG handguard comes to mind), but you're dealing with significantly higher torque values and wider ranges there.

With small capstan screws like this, torque is self limiting if the tool is designed correctly.

Isn't Aug 1, when the products go live?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Isn't Aug 1, when the products go live?
    August 1 is the expiration date on the NDA's signed by people like Aaron Cowan, who got pre-production samples (last February, IIRC). Expect more than a few reviews and discussion on that date.

User Tag List