Thread: M&P 2.0 compact frame pin

Site Supporter

M&P 2.0 compact frame pin

I've noticed my 2.0 frame pin, which is the pin in front of the takedown lever, walking a bit to the left side. My guess is that I have around 2000-3500 rounds on the gun, which is very early 2020 pre-panic model. My shooting frequency and volume has bumped up a bit in the last six months or so, so I've noticed it walking twice in the last month and half, with about 800 rounds shot in the last month, due to a class.

Should I just replace with the factory version? https://www.midwestgunworks.com/prod...t_Code=3002535

Or are there better options? I see that the 2.0s don't use roll pins like the 1.0s did.

When I first got the gun I did remove the detent affair on the left side slide/stop slide release so that I could more easily use the slide stop as a slide release. I don't think that would have any impact on the retention of the frame pin, as the slide stop mechanism is further back in the frame. I've also just noticed the frame pin walking twice since June, so I think this is just a straight wear issue.

Edited to add: I do see that Ed Brown makes aftermarket pins: https://www.edbrown.com/product/mach...in-kit-for-mp/
    Last edited by idahojess; 07-16-2023 at 12:59 PM.

This one has probably 1,200 rounds on it and that pin has seemingly walked a tad. APEX duty/carry kit and aftermarket sights.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  46.7 KB

Views: 379
Size:  55.5 KB

If I remember right, and it’s been far too long since this one’s been shot, that’s the normal position of that pin to engage the take down lever.

Views: 377
Size:  43.9 KB

Is that the pin you’re referring to?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    This one has probably 1,200 rounds on it and that pin has seemingly walked a tad. APEX duty/carry kit and aftermarket sights.

Views: 395
Size:  46.7 KB

Views: 379
Size:  55.5 KB

If I remember right, and it’s been far too long since this one’s been shot, that’s the normal position of that pin to engage the take down lever.

Views: 377
Size:  43.9 KB

Is that the pin you’re referring to?
    Yep, that's it exactly. And after looking at some photos of the gun that I took a few years ago, I see that it was in that position as well. So maybe I'm just over worried about it.

Took a look at my M&P 2.0, 45acp. The pin at the takedown lever is flush with the frame. All the pins are flush as well. The pistol has about 1,000 rounds through it.

As far as replacing the pin(s), if that is what your comfort level, I'd at least order some replacement pins and have them on hand if you feel the need to replacement down the road. Cheap enough fix.

I’ve observed the solid frame pins in polymer frame pistols (across multiple manufacturers) can develop a habit of walking.

I have a Ruger LCP that walked noticeably in one session round counts. I used a little Blue LocTite on the pin, tapped it home then let it dry. No more walking. The pin is still removeable, it just takes a couple of sharp raps with a punch to break it loose.

Site Supporter
    I did put in a set of the Ed Brown pins.

https://prod.brownells.com/gun-parts...th--wesson-mp/

I've only put about 100 rounds through so far -- they seem to be staying in place fine. I will likely have another 400 rounds or so through by the end of the month. The 2.0 pins are much easier to deal with than the 1.0 roll pins, which always seemed to require some substantial smacking.

Site Supporter

Good Post 13 years Later

Good post even after 13 years! I own a 2.0 9mm and need to give its pins a look to check their status.

Just bought a mp 2.0 about a week ago. My pin looks exactly like yours. A Google search shows all of them protruding, including SW website

User Tag List