Thread: Let's talk tripods

Let's talk tripods

I'm looking to put together a tripod setup for rifle shooting using both a saddle-type mount and Arca-Swiss plates. I've got a lot of experience with tripods for photography, and currently have an older Gitzo 340 (two-section aluminum legs; no center column) with an Arca-Swiss B1 ballhead on it which should be sufficient for any rifle, but I've also seen some setups that dispense with the ball-head altogether and utilize leveling bases in the 70-75mm bowl mounts typically used for video equipment. That looks like an interesting option to keep the center of gravity closer to the tripod. What's everyone using and why?

Earlier this year,I went to a Forge Tactical class that was heavy on tripod shooting. One they recommended was the Shadow Tech. I took a borrowed Manfrotto with a Hog Saddle. I’ve since bought a Shadow Tech of my own. There were some recommendations for others which were considerably more expensive but I can’t recall the names.

I mainly use my tripod for mounting my LRF binos or a spotting scope, but I have shot off the top of it either in matches or in practice. I dry fire quite a bit since I can practice shooting from different heights pretty easily.

My rifles have arca rails on them and my tripod has a Vortex leveling head w/ arca clamp so its possible for me to clip my rifle in when shooting. However for stages with multiple targets I find it faster and no less stable to drape a shooting bag over the top of the tripod and shoot off the top of the bag. It helps if your rifle balances on its own when resting on the bag.

The main reason I have the leveling head is for clipping my binos or spotting scope to the tripod. The leveling head is a lot lower profile than a standard ball head, so it’s not a big deal to leave it in place when shooting off the bag. I’ve shot off tac-tables that clip into the head, but it really depends on the shape of your bag. I run an Armageddon Gear Schmedium bag with heavy fill, so the taco shape of the bag fits better draped over the top of the tripod itself better than on the flat surface of the tac-table.

I started with Shadowtech with HogSaddle for my first precision class. It's OKish tripod, but gross leg adjustment is a pain with it's locking mechanism. While hogsaddle is good for generic mounting, it's not as tight as arca. The instructor (SF sniper) recommend I look for something else.
    My second one was Feisol CT-3442 with ball head and arca plate/HogSaddle. The adjustment are better than Shadowtech, but it's "lighter duty" and I could see if when compared against other tripod.
    During a precision class last year, the instructor recommended Vortex tripod kit. I found it for a good deal and have been using it ever since. It's definitely much heavier duty then Feisol/Shadow tech.
    I don't see any issues with leveling plate vs ball head as long as you do the initial gross adjustment right.

I have a Really Right Stuff TFCT-34L. Expensive but it makes standing almost as stable as prone.

If you don’t need to shoot high angle I’d look at a leveling base, if you do the RRS Anvil head is probably the best. If deployment speed is a priority then a two section tripod has an advantage at the cost of stored length.

The Two Vets tripods are worth looking at to save cost.

The shadowtech setups can be good for training but they are relics compared to the latest arca/no center column tech.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    I'm looking to put together a tripod setup for rifle shooting using both a saddle-type mount and Arca-Swiss plates. ... What's everyone using and why?
    I have a tripod problem, I have an embarrassing collection.. It really depends what your price range is and your application. For me, I use them for field matches, long range matches, hunting or shooting sage rats. My favorite right now is the leofoto sa 403c with the ma-30l head. Sign up on the website and they will email u 20% off coupon. It weighs 5lbs 6oz, rated to 55lbs and folds up nicely to fit in my pack. The clamp style mounts, hog/pig saddle are not nearly as stable for shooting. I have used a RRS leveling head in the past and never ran into an issue with elevation but it could be a problem in the mountains. The RRS Anvil is a superior product, and priced accordingly. Clipping into the arca head is stable or clamping a tac-table to the arca head and shooting off a bag works really well too. Most of the time I run a tac table with a bag with light fill to scan with binos/range finder, then throw rifle on bag to engage what I find. If you are still in Oregon you can go to one of the Cossa long range matches in Bend and see the various tripod offerings and set ups.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I think I'm going to pick up a Really Right Stuff leveling base and then put together a platform to hold a front sandbag rest; shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate.

User Tag List