Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stainless S&W 15 ?

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    S&W didn't nickel plate any of the internal parts on nickel guns. Stainless guns got flash chromed hammers and triggers. I think the original stainless parts had problems with galling. The finish on the gun in the picture looks a little dull to be nickel and presents more like stainless to my eye.
    Thanks for the info. I suppose this gun could have just had chromed parts installed in place of the original case hardened parts. Regarding the appearance, I cannot speak with any authority, just based on what the seller stated, that this was a nickel plated gun. The frame is stamped "MOD. 15.4" but that's really all the info I have on it, other than I got it at a good deal, likely due to the refinish job on it. I'm not all that worried as I was looking for a shooter, not a collector, and my thoughts were that all bets were off regarding any originality to the parts.

Steve, does your gun have an N stamped on the frame under the grips or/and on the breech face of the cylinder?

Quote Originally Posted by onehalfmvsquared View Post
    Steve, does your gun have an N stamped on the frame under the grips or/and on the breech face of the cylinder?
    No, there are several other numbers stamped under the grips at the butt of the gun, on both sides, but no "N" that would ID it as a factory nickel gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveThePirate View Post
    Thanks for the info. I suppose this gun could have just had chromed parts installed in place of the original case hardened parts. Regarding the appearance, I cannot speak with any authority, just based on what the seller stated, that this was a nickel plated gun. The frame is stamped "MOD. 15.4" but that's really all the info I have on it, other than I got it at a good deal, likely due to the refinish job on it. I'm not all that worried as I was looking for a shooter, not a collector, and my thoughts were that all bets were off regarding any originality to the parts.
    Sounds like an awesome carry gun
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Sounds like an awesome carry gun
    Yep, and I intend to put a lot of rounds through it....once I get the bolt lock spring replaced so the lock isn't free moving...

Site Supporter
    Hard chrome?

User Tag List