Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10-8 Performance Lab, Episode 91: Lightweight 1911 Throwdown

I came to a lot of the same conclusions in my foray into finding smaller 45s...I have a couple of Combat Commanders, but one of them was one I bought for my dad before he passed so I'm keeping that one, and the Colt Combat Elite Commander I'm keeping for trade or sale booty later. I had a Wiley Clapp CCO and it was great to carry but pretty badly ripped up the web of my hand with duty/carry ammo...it was just not fun to shoot after a while and that cloud of "man this is going to suck to shoot" every time I yanked it from my holster just was too much to get over.

The only super compact 45s I ever liked and don't mind shooting are Detonics CombatMasters; they're really not bad. I'd take one of those over a lightweight Commander...in fact, I did; I've got two of the stupid things But they both run great, albeit they do go through mag springs faster than a black lab goes through a roast chicken left on the counter.

The only Commander-sized guns I'm really ever going to use/carry are in 9mm or 38 Super..a lightweight Commander in 38 Super is about a perfect carry gun as you can find; the only thing better would be a CCO in 38 Super honestly and that's probably what I'll be building next.

I tried Sig P220s; effectively a DA/SA lightweight Commander. I tried a Compact P220...almost indistinguishable from a full size P220 IMO; really not all that bad for it's size, and I carried it for a while but if you ever do something dumb like shoot it next to a Gov't Model...you'll wonder if the size is worth the sacrifice of being able to shoot it all day long.

Honestly, a USP is flippy as well. Really not far removed from a lightweight Commander. I had a Mk24/HK45C...I carried it for a while and tried for more than a year to love it. It would just flip so much though. One day I wasn't ready for it and it wrenched my wrist back and that was a sprain that took a while to get over. Sold it not long after. Maybe my soft IT-professional wrists just weren't up for it...we're all different, so those who can pound one of those for hundreds of rounds every day, I'm jealous of.

The only 45s I have left that I'd comfortably carry and shoot and not ever feel like I'm hurting myself by doing so...full size Gov't 1911s, my CZ97, Glock 21. HK Mk23 follows those. After that, Detonics CombatMasters. From there, it all kinds of run together into Combat Commanders, USPs and P220s, lightweight Commanders and CCOs...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Will take a look.

In my spare time, I am going down the "hmmm...what about a lightweight 9mm shortbarrel 1911..." rabbit hole. Purely as a thought exercise. Purely.
    As always, loved the video and appreciate Hilton’s input.

RJ, if you need to test one out I’m up the road in AB/Ruskin. I’ve got a SA Range Officer Elite Compact. We just ran it with the family and everyone seemed to enjoy it and felt recoil wasn’t much different than the P365XL.

Quote Originally Posted by CakeEater View Post
    As always, loved the video and appreciate Hilton’s input.

RJ, if you need to test one out I’m up the road in AB/Ruskin. I’ve got a SA Range Officer Elite Compact. We just ran it with the family and everyone seemed to enjoy it and felt recoil wasn’t much different than the P365XL.
    Much obliged. We moved from Venice up to Tavares in Lake County in Dec, so Ruskin would be a hike for me these days. And my needs are fully met with a couple P365s, and the Garrison as my fun/range gun. A LW 1911 .45 (or even in 9mm) is just an interesting thing to think about. Genuinely appreciate the offer though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I note that Hilton shot some Wilson practice loads of a 200 at 770 fps f 154 which is manageable. Catalog says non expanding HAP bullets, not for defense. But I bet they would.
    I'd like to see some ordnance gel testing out of a 5". Could be interesting.

@5pins, have you ever tested any?

EDIT: @Jim Watson, where are you seeing 200 @770? Looking at the Wilson website I see 230 HAP @760 and the 200 HAP @865

https://wilsoncombat.com/45-acp-bill...fo.description

https://wilsoncombat.com/45-acp-bill...p-100-box.html
    Last edited by awp_101; 07-16-2023 at 07:00 PM.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

https://wilsoncombat.com/45-acp-rema...-400-bulk.html

This reduced velocity .45 ACP target load, with reduced recoil compared to factory hardball, uses the range proven Hornady HAP (Hornady Action Pistol) 200 grain jacketed non-expanding hollowpoint for excellent accuracy and reliability. Ideal for training or competition shooting when jacketed bullets are preferred.

This load will not make “major” power factor for competition use.

The HAP bullet is not designed to expand and not suitable for self-defense.

Typical Usage Competition, Practice
    Firearm Type Handgun
    Box Quantity 400
    Ammo Case Material Brass
    Velocity Range Subsonic
    Caliber .45 ACP
    Manufacturer Wilson Combat
    Test Barrel Length 5 inch
    Ammunition Velocity 770
    Ammunition Muzzle Energy 263
    Ammunition Bullet Used 200 gr. Hornady HAP (Hornady Action Pistol)
    Ammunition Type Remanufactured
    Code Name: JET STREAM

DOH! I was looking at practice and went right past the reman ammo! Thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Will take a look.

In my spare time, I am going down the "hmmm...what about a lightweight 9mm shortbarrel 1911..." rabbit hole. Purely as a thought exercise. Purely.
    I’m a big 1911 fan. But for all practical purposes, the Glock 48 is my current lightweight, short barrel, 9mm, 1911.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I’m a big 1911 fan. But for all practical purposes, the Glock 48 is my current lightweight, short barrel, 9mm, 1911.
    Yeah. To be honest, everytime I go looking at one of these lightweight, alloy frame shorty 1911s in 9mm, I glance over at my P365X, loaded 12+1 and think...nah, that's a dumb idea for me.

Yeah. To be honest, everytime I go looking at one of these lightweight, alloy frame shorty 1911s in 9mm, I glance over at my P365X, loaded 12+1 and think...nah, that's a dumb idea for me.
    I recently passed on a very attractively priced Staccato C, for precisely that reason. Sure, the 1911 is MUCH "sexier" with an infinitely better trigger, but 8+1 vs 12+1 (not to mention the higher payload comes in a smaller, lighter package) is a no brainer for me. Not to mention the "pain" factor should, God Forbid, I need to actually use the pistol for defensive purposes - replacing then vetting another high-end 1911 is a lot more financially painful than doing the same with a $550 P365XL.

User Tag List