Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10-8 Performance Lab, Episode 91: Lightweight 1911 Throwdown

10-8 Performance Lab, Episode 91: Lightweight 1911 Throwdown

Hilton Yam of 10-8 Performance compares some lightweight and shorter barrel 1911’s.

Good info from Hilton as always. Not sure the combat commander should be in there with the rest of the lightweight guns and he sorta seemed to agree.

I’d really like to see him take some of the lightweight 9mm options and evaluate those as well.

I'm surprised he didn't bring up the style of fireing pin stop when taking about recoil between the Dan Wesson and the colts.

I wonder if different companies use different feed ramp styles. With my LW champion I have never had a feedeay stoppage like he showed with the DW. Even when trying
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Will take a look.

In my spare time, I am going down the "hmmm...what about a lightweight 9mm shortbarrel 1911..." rabbit hole. Purely as a thought exercise. Purely.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Will take a look.

In my spare time, I am going down the "hmmm...what about a lightweight 9mm shortbarrel 1911..." rabbit hole. Purely as a thought exercise. Purely.
    I did that on a whim when a clearance priced Ruger LW 9mm Officers popped up at Kittery Trading Post in ME, it has proven to be a great gun. I personally don’t trust Officer length .45s.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I really don't feel my lw champion is that snappy. My most shot load is a 200gr swc at 950fps from the 4" barrel.

I do use a fbfp stop. And currently a Wilson flat wire recoil spring. Mostly to utilize a toolless full-length guide rod.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Purely as a thought exercise. Purely.
    Congrats on your new purchase! Let us know how it runs, please.

My recoil tolerance is way down, I have .45s loaded to just make Major, some to make IDPA ESR (f 155), and mostly at Minor.
    I think it was Charles Petty who did an article advocating the .45 Lite, a 185 at 800 fps f 148. He couldn't get the 185s he wanted and settled for 200s. I don't recall whether he kept them at 800 fps f 160 or backed them down to 750 fps f 150. I note that Hilton shot some Wilson practice loads of a 200 at 770 fps f 154 which is manageable. Catalog says non expanding HAP bullets, not for defense. But I bet they would.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Wish they still made the XSE line.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I really don't feel my lw champion is that snappy. My most shot load is a 200gr swc at 950fps from the 4" barrel.

I do use a fbfp stop. And currently a Wilson flat wire recoil spring. Mostly to utilize a toolless full-length guide rod.
    Can I just say. Your a big guy. With a lot of functionality in your meat. That looks like some nice shooting.

User Tag List