Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Current AR-15 Scope Mount

Current AR-15 Scope Mount

What are some of the best AR-15 scope mounts? Interested in mounts for 16” and 18”-20” rifles.

Just not sure what some of the current good ones are.

Thanks.

What diameter are the scope bodies?

I tend to like Bobro, but they aren’t the new hotness anymore.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I have used American Defense, Badger, and Scalarworks. All were/are good. Geissele mounts also get good reviews but I haven't used them. Nightforce Unimounts also get good reviews and are light.

The current Scalarworks Leap08 is what I use now, my favorite of the lot.

There are so many high-quality American made mount companies now that it's really hard to go wrong anymore. The current trend is going away from QD and towards 7075 aluminum mounts for higher strength and lighter weight, and I agree with this trend. The utility of QD mounts and backup irons on scoped rifles never really materialized for me and I just quit using them. 10 years ago I would have pointed you to Larue, American Defense, Bobro, or Midwest Industries. Today I will point you to Badger Ordnance, Reptilia, Geissele, Warne, and even the new Primary Arms PLX mounts instead. I also still think when you have an ultra weight conscious build for maybe a smaller female shooter or child, the Aero Ultralight mounts still have a place there. My opinion is that the Badger Ordnance C1 is the pinnacle simply because of their 1.7 height option, which is fantastic for a LPVO. It ticks all the boxes for strength, light weight, strong clamping, and an ecosystem of modular accessories for top mounted or offset dots and other stuff like levels.
    Last edited by stomridertx; 07-13-2023 at 10:13 AM.

Give us more details and we can better help you out. Tube diameter was already asked. Others:

• What scope? What's your scope's eye relief? Do you need a cantilever mount?
    • Do you need a QD mount? Most people probably don't, some LARP about it too much.
    • What mount height do you need? Unless you have a good reason, I'd probably stick with standard low mounts.
    • Do you want to accommodate BUIS or RDS? Do you actually need an alternative sight system?
    • If accommodating an RDS, where do you want it mounted (offset, mounted to a scope ring cap, etc)?

Depending on the optic and your needs, sometimes it can be as simple as a good quality set of rings from Badger Ordnance, Leupold, Warne, EGW, countless others. Ultimately, eye relief and mount height are going to be two of the most important factors that will dictate your options.

I'll just say it. In more recent years, thanks to social media, there's been a bit of a vetbro/LARP phenomenon around certain mounts or mount configurations. Some of it does serve a valid niche purpose that probably doesn't apply to a lot of people.
    Some of it is downright retarded cash grab-level stuff that's unnecessary. I would recommend not getting caught up in marketing or how "cool" things look on social, and just focus on some of the requirements above.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

For QD mounts I have never had a problem with Bobro or ADM. For non-QD I like Badger Ordnance and Geissele. For a more budget oriented option I have a couple of Warnes that have never given me any problems.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    Give us more details and we can better help you out. Tube diameter was already asked. Others:

• What scope? What's your scope's eye relief? Do you need a cantilever mount?
    • Do you need a QD mount? Most people probably don't, some LARP about it too much.
    • What mount height do you need? Unless you have a good reason, I'd probably stick with standard low mounts.
    • Do you want to accommodate BUIS or RDS? Do you actually need an alternative sight system?
    • If accommodating an RDS, where do you want it mounted (offset, mounted to a scope ring cap, etc)?

Depending on the optic and your needs, sometimes it can be as simple as a good quality set of rings from Badger Ordnance, Leupold, Warne, EGW, countless others. Ultimately, eye relief and mount height are going to be two of the most important factors that will dictate your options.

I'll just say it. In more recent years, thanks to social media, there's been a bit of a vetbro/LARP phenomenon around certain mounts or mount configurations. Some of it does serve a valid niche purpose that probably doesn't apply to a lot of people.
    Some of it is downright retarded cash grab-level stuff that's unnecessary. I would recommend not getting caught up in marketing or how "cool" things look on social, and just focus on some of the requirements above.

This will be for at least two rifles at this point - a 16" carbine and a 20" model.

30mm tubes. Leupold LPVO on the 16" and maybe a 4.5-14x50 M4 (maybe 3.5-10) on the 20". When it's finished, that one will be used for coyotes. I do have a Leupold 4.5-14x40 M1 (30mm) model that's currently on a M700 PSS that I might could use, but it has fine reticles and is more difficult to see in the field at times. Do have another M1 model on an LTR that's 3.5-10x50 that I could use. Was thinking about switching that one to an M4 4.5-14x50, anyway.

As for mounting, would like to have offset flip-up sights on the 16". Maybe a RDS on the 16". Still thinking that one through. Had considered one of the Leupold LPVO's with the illuminated reticles, but have never seen one in person. Don't know that I would put any backup sights on the 20", but could.

Don't care about QD. Have had those on M1As, AR-15s (a long time ago, when ARMS was the main option), a Sako and maybe something else, but never once used the QD feature on any of them.

I have some Badger mounts and rings on a few M700s and have been happy with them.

Hope I didn't miss anything.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rack View Post
    What are some of the best AR-15 scope mounts? Interested in mounts for 16” and 18”-20” rifles.

Just not sure what some of the current good ones are.

Thanks.
    Do you have an articulated need for a QD mount ?

If not: Badger Ordnance, Scalar Works, Geissele or Reptillia.

It’s 2023, an offset or 12 o’clock mounted red dot > flip up irons as a secondary sighting system.

I would also throw in Spuhr ISMS and Nightforce Ultramounts.

User Tag List