Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spyderco Enuff 2

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Yeah, but.......

How akin would that be to gun manufacturers including a holster with every pistol purchase? How often would it be the right holster for each end user?
    That's not quite the same thing. When I buy a gun, I can just buy a holster for it from JMCK or whoever. Sure , shipping, taxes and customs fees are annoying and add to the cost, but it's still a one way process resulting in a $100 accessory for a $500 pistol. And I can go shoot with my pistol while I wait for the holster. But there are so many knives out there that most of the time, sheath manufacturers do not have a mold for that particular knife. Which means I would have to send my knife to the sheath maker, who will be somewhere abroad, probably overseas in the US. I don't have access to my knife while the sheath is being made, and now we're talking about a $150 accessory to a $50 knife. (All numbers in this post are of course off the top of my head approximations.) And should I really, really like a certain knife, perhaps something on the expensive side (so I can't just buy a second one for the express purpose of sending that one to sheath makers)? I can't tell off the top of my head exactly how many 1911 holsters I own. Buying multiple sheaths would be much more aggravating than buying multiple holsters.

While the sheath that comes with a knife might not be absolutely perfect, for me at least it is important that the knife comes with a sheath that is usable for me. I've decided not to buy a whole bunch of knives because of the sorry ass sheath that comes with it.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    To some extent this is true, but Shivworks manages to supply well-designed sheathe with their knives. Bud Nealy used to supply a really nice multi-carry sheath system.
    Yeah, but..... Shivworks blades are essentially niche products with a very specific use case, and produced by folks who understand that use, and that the blade and sheath are both important and part of the system. I'm pretty confident that there are a whole lot of Spyderco consumers who have never heard of Shivworks, and wouldn't understand the products if they did.

I appreciate all the responses. You guys are absolutely right that the knife world in general could do better, and offer a lot more utility with just a little extra effort....such as industry standard hole-spacing, get rid of superfluous material, etc. I just don't expect them to satisfy my particular niche or use case when offering a product to the general public.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Yeah, but..... Shivworks blades are essentially niche products with a very specific use case, and produced by folks who understand that use, and that the blade and sheath are both important and part of the system. I'm pretty confident that there are a whole lot of Spyderco consumers who have never heard of Shivworks, and wouldn't understand the products if they did.

I appreciate all the responses. You guys are absolutely right that the knife world in general could do better, and offer a lot more utility with just a little extra effort....such as industry standard hole-spacing, get rid of superfluous material, etc. I just don't expect them to satisfy my particular niche or use case when offering a product to the general public.
    The fixed blade knives I have carried the most have either a sheath that is configurable for more than one carry method, or I have multiple sheaths for them in addition to the factory sheath.

For my Clinch Pick, I have Dark Star horizontal and vertical belt sheaths as well as the factory sheath. The factory sheath is attached to a Pocket Shield for pocket carry.

My Mickey Yurco Push Dagger has belt, IWB, and pocket sheaths made by Mickey.

In each case, the standard sheath did not account for everything, but it is useful for some percentage of my use.

Standard hole spacing would certainly help.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Bumping to declare I haven't forgotten this thread. Two boys under 3 and some new "good ideas" at work have dominated my time.

The RK sheath did arrive this week; it's much more serviceable but still not "optimal".

Also, in all my piles of shit and gear, I have no mounting hardware for the DCC clips so I will be resolving that shortly.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Bumping to declare I haven't forgotten this thread. Two boys under 3 and some new "good ideas" at work have dominated my time.

The RK sheath did arrive this week; it's much more serviceable but still not "optimal".

Also, in all my piles of shit and gear, I have no mounting hardware for the DCC clips so I will be resolving that shortly.
    I’m very curious to see how your sheath project turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post

Bringing this one back up.

I’m very interested in getting this same knife and sheath combo.

How’s it working it out?

With the RK sheath/DCC clips, can it be carried edge forward AIWB at the 11 o’clock (for support/left handed, edge forward, reverse grip)?

Not to misdirect, but why serrations? I have one CRKT knife that I threw into a drawer never to be used. I don't see the usefulness of serrations. I find them difficult to sharpen. I like to be able to shave the hairs on my arm to test for a sharp edge.

OK boomer.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Not to misdirect, but why serrations? I have one CRKT knife that I threw into a drawer never to be used. I don't see the usefulness of serrations. I find them difficult to sharpen. I like to be able to shave the hairs on my arm to test for a sharp edge.

OK boomer.
    I want the plain edge one for the record, but some may want to have a hard wearing ripper that'll laser through roap, seat belts, and leather jackets.

User Tag List