Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Napoleon movie coming this Thanksgiving

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Just curious, what's the rub that made it so bad for you?

Is the disdain based on a religious objection to the plot?
    It was 11 years ago, so I don't recall all the ins and outs.

It totally wouldn't have been any religious objections though, just story telling and execution.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I think Prometheus was meh.

It wasn't good, it wasn't bad. It was... like one of the lesser Star Wars movies. Like maybe Attack of the Clones: I watched it. I was entertained by it. If I never see it ever again, I won't be upset. If there's almost literally anything else on, I'll probably watch that (the anything else), instead. Same with Body of Lies or the theatrical version of Kingdom of Heaven. And G.I. Jane.

And The Last Duel is supposed to be decent (I haven't seen it, yet), but nobody saw it.

Anyway, I think if you're making a theatrical trailer for a historical epic, you would use the director's other historical epics to sell it. Not Alien or Black Hawk Down. It's like Michael Mann coming out with a new thriller and instead of selling it on Collateral, Heat, and Thief you use The Last of the Mohicans, Ali, and The Insider.
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

On “Prometheus,” I don’t remember a single thing about it. Nothing, nadda, blank. Moreover, since I’m pretty sure I wasn’t falling down drunk, that’s saying something. The last movie that I saw that I remember nothing about was “The corpse bride,” some animated POS follow up to Burton’s “Nightmare before Christmas.”

Seriously, I couldn’t pick a scene from Prometheus out of a line up of two youtubes. Utterly forgettable, apparently.

And how’d we get onto Prometheus from Napoleon? Was the alien missing a penis, or something? Prometheus Dickus.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    It didn't live up to my expectations but it was still entertaining. My biggest complaint was the abject stupidity of some of the characters (really, you're going to touch the strange alien creature you've never encountered before?).

Chris
    That's just it, damn near every character did the dumbest possible things at the dumbest possible times. Popping helmets off on an alien planet. The guys with the auto mapping tech getting lost. Reaching out to touch the unknown wildlife. Running in a straight line instead of crossways from the falling ship. And don't get me started on the lead character doing parkour immediately post C-section...

After years of crap Alien sequels (3 was mediocre, Resurrection was just trash, and the AvP movies were pure schlock) I had really hoped that giving the franchise back to Scott would bring it back to its former quality, but that was sadly not the case. I expected better from Ridley Scott.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Elba. Waterloo.

There, I saved you the price of a ticket and overpriced snacks.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

There are only two movies in the Alien franchise. <<shrugs>>
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Just curious, what's the rub that made it so bad for you?

Is the disdain based on a religious objection to the plot?
    I know you're not talking to me, but I have mountains of disdain based on scientific objection to the plot. The scientists were worse than the worst scientists I could ever imagine.

"We traveled multiple light years to a planet that we think possessed alien life that came to earth tens/hundreds of thousands of years ago. In the first day we find archeological evidence they were here, proving the hypothesis correct, and providing a lifetime of study for tens of thousands of scientists. We consider the expedition a failure because living aliens are not here, this afternoon, to talk to us right now."

Sweet Jesus, the idiocy of that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    That's just it, damn near every character did the dumbest possible things at the dumbest possible times. Popping helmets off on an alien planet. The guys with the auto mapping tech getting lost. Reaching out to touch the unknown wildlife. Running in a straight line instead of crossways from the falling ship. And don't get me started on the lead character doing parkour immediately post C-section...

After years of crap Alien sequels (3 was mediocre, Resurrection was just trash, and the AvP movies were pure schlock) I had really hoped that giving the franchise back to Scott would bring it back to its former quality, but that was sadly not the case. I expected better from Ridley Scott.
    And the auto-doc not knowing how to surgery on women.

God damned that's some high standards for movies. I feel like ya'll would wake up from a wet dream and be angry that it wasn't 100% realistic, too.

I mean...Night Agent has tons of inaccuracies and whatnot that are obvious to a federal agent, but I'm still able to enjoy it for what it is: Entertainment. They're not documentaries.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I feel like ya'll would wake up from a wet dream and be angry that it wasn't 100% realistic, too.
    Wait… yours aren’t?

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List