Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Stealth Arms Platypus

Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    It's not just money saving. All I have are Glocks and a ton of Glock mags. If I introduce the Platypus, I don't have to spend ANY money on mags and I still have a common mag for all my guns. I don't have budget to buy 5 Platypus guns this year if I just fall in love with the platform, but the Glocks will always work if I have to send the Platypus back for work or have to do the more intensive maintenance on it.
    There's principal involved too. I have AR-15s that are $3000 and up packages, but I don't have to buy $75 magazines for those. I haven't had to put up with expensive mags up to this point, so I'm less inclined to do so than those who have a bunch of different pistols and were into this 2011 thing from the start. From my viewpoint, Glock mags are durable, reliable, inexpensive, and easy to source. Why would I want to give that up if I don't have to? If the Platypus didn't exist and I just couldn't stand being the only dude at the range without a Staccato anymore, I'd probably give in eventually. Stealth Arms found a way to reach me.

Attachment 115404
    Lots of good rifles exist that don't run on AR mags. And then NATO countries wanting a common mag and cartridge makes some logistical sense from a Global conflict standpoint. But that doesn't mean the M16 mag or its cartridge are probably the best things available.

I'm not telling anyone to buy or not to buy one of these guns. I'm just trying to provide as unbiased an opinion as I can being that I'm the owner of a Platypus and also a couple different 2011-style pistols.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    T says: "Isn't the whole idea behind the Platypus the idea that it removes mag drama from the 1911 equation? Shooters may still want to dedicate some mags for Usage A and some mags for Usage B, but should they have to? Should the pistol itself have some sort of design parameter that requires the shooter to monitor mags and replace them periodically?

1. I was taught early on to have carry mags and training mags, regardless of platform.

2. Should they HAVE to? If they want to minimize issues at the most inopportune of times, I would say yes. I baby my carry mags. They never hit the ground.

3. As and others have stated, mags are consumables. Consumables and indeed all mission critical gear should be monitored and replaced periodically. It was always moderately ironic to watch very talented old school 1911 IPSC guys have a malfunction messing up what was otherwise a dynamite run. Almost always, it was a mag. A mag that had been in their shooting bag for years that they forgot to pound the feeds lips down for the umpteenth time.

4. For .20 cents a day, I can have 3 New Glock OEM EDC mags yearly presuming 25USD per.

Bottom Line- If the reviews continue trending in this direction and I was ready to make the 4k commitment (carry gun/practice gun), the beginning/middle/end life cycle of an EDC Glock OEM mag (or even a vetted Magpul) would not slow me down a bit because the pistol had a metal mag release that might could tear up a polymer mag over time.
    I agree with this. I use OEM Glock mags for carry and Magpul Glock PMags for training. I don't have the issues with the PMags others have expressed. Mags are consumables, and it blows my mind that someone would put up with a $75 consumable. I make a pretty good living, but I think a lot of my peers on the forum must just absolutely blow me away in income.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    What all this really tells us is there's a market for good yet inexpensive STI mags. When MEC-GAR Para Ordnance mags are $35 at full retail wouldn't that suggest the MG could make STI mags for about the same price? Decent mags that sell for $26 or so through various distributors would make lots of 2011 owners happy.

This. I’ve been asking wishing for Mec-Gar StI mags for over a decade. Even before the STI mags were made more uniform, so cheaper price and better consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    This. I’ve been asking wishing for Mec-Gar StI mags for over a decade. Even before the STI mags were made more uniform, so cheaper price and better consistency.
    @JonInWA

Any chance you can plant a bug in someone's ear about this?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    @JonInWA

Any chance you can plant a bug in someone's ear about this?

Already done and in the works.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

I'm hoping if MEC-GAR can't do it for whatever reason that Magpul might. The name would instantly appeal to the tactical beard community. If nothing else it would be nice to have Magpul making some STI base plates.

I need a laser more but I'm 99% buying one of these this year. Everything storm has said has been 100% my feelings as well. I'm pretty confident that I'm not a poor, but I'm not spending stac mag money even though I really want to try a 2011. I have close to 20 Glock training mags, that in 2011 mags is damn near the price of one of these guns. Fuck that noise.

User Tag List