Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Stealth Arms Platypus

I’m running the same mags in my open and limited guns for over 20 years. They are the older STI (limited) / SV (open) mags.

They've seen a lot of use and have been dropped on many surfaces, including concrete. Aside from routine spring changes, there may have been a follower or base pad changed along the way. They don’t seem to be “worn out” yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    Magazines are a wear item.

The pistols I own are all matched in material between mag catches and mag bodies, so maybe there’s not such a disagreement?

Everything is a compromise. If Glock mags and 1911 system combined are the requirements, then it looks like one of the trade offs is accelerated mag wear. A composite mag catch would be cool, the manufacturer or the aftermarket has to see a business case.

My favorite mag and catch setup is by far the USP, but that has its own unique tradeoffs- just like everything else.
    I’m unsure if accelerated wear is the right term since most of us have Glock magazines that have seen tens of thousand of insertions with no appreciable wear. I’m mean, I’ve got crates full of G17 mags from before the AWB ban era that have no wear near the catch.

Time will tell how much of an issue this will be. Worst case scenario is that people will start having magazine retention issues after a few thousand rounds with the same magazine. That would probably prompt some sort of fix although a hybrid material magazine catch probably has its own longevity issues.

I’m still holding out for enough people that I trust to get past the 10-20K round mark before I bite on this pistol.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post

I’m still holding out for enough people that I trust to get past the 10-20K round mark before I bite on this pistol.
    Why don't you buy one and help us out? More data will be good.

Sensei,

Yes sir, you are nailing it.

Your make me think, maybe instead of a composite mag catch, maybe a little metal divot, you could dremel and glue and go. I’m sure there’d be hack jobs, but probably also really good work. Just keep those mags out of the Glocks, lololol it never ends, but it is fun.

I guess a question is what kind of wear rate is the tipping point? I like 10 round 45 mags, but I have different expectations of my 8 rounders.

Did I hear correctly that there was a .45 offering?
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Why don't you buy one and help us out? More data will be good.
    Because that would mean that I’ve learned nothing from my 30 years of shooting and accumulating firearms.

Double tap

What parts in the Platypus are proprietary?
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    What parts in the Platypus are proprietary?
    The frame's unique of course as is the mag catch and slide catch. The slide is also a little different. I assume this is because the top of the Glock mag was not directly transferable to the width of the Para or STI mags.

The hammer, sear and disconnector are standard 1911. The thumb safety is not. It is different where the detent meets the flat plate of the safety.

The barrel seems to be a usual 1911 part and has the Clark / Para feed ramp.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

@eaglefrq

Do you have any updates? How's your gun working for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    The frame's unique of course as is the mag catch and slide catch. The slide is also a little different. I assume this is because the top of the Glock mag was not directly transferable to the width of the Para or STI mags.

The hammer, sear and disconnector are standard 1911. The thumb safety is not. It is different where the detent meets the flat plate of the safety.

The barrel seems to be a usual 1911 part and has the Clark / Para feed ramp.

So, if Stealth Arms goes belly up, there won't be a source for parts?
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List