Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Stealth Arms Platypus

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    When I bought mine the RMR cut was not available. I would have gone that route had it been available.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

If I were to order one, I would probably go with an ACRO cut, but I could make an RMR cut work and would use an EPS.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Another option would be no optics cut and then have someone cut the slide for an Atlas or Dawson plate.

As we pretty much knew would happen I am starting to see wear at the top edge of the magazine catch shelf. All three of the Magpul mags I've been using are showing this. It is certainly something to keep an eye on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    As we pretty much knew would happen I am starting to see wear at the top edge of the magazine catch shelf. All three of the Magpul mags I've been using are showing this. It is certainly something to keep an eye on.

The OZ9 mag catch gouges Magpul Glock mags in the same manner. I am not sure why these companies don't use polymer on the inner portion of their metal mag catches to eliminate this.

OZ mag catches are Gen4 compatible- I have a Vickers in mine.

Regarding the Platypus, while a composite steel-polymer catch would be exciting, mags are ultimately disposable. This would have been a problem during the dark days of AWB, but it’s hard for me to worry now.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    OZ mag catches are Gen4 compatible- I have a Vickers in mine.

Regarding the Platypus, while a composite steel-polymer catch would be exciting, mags are ultimately disposable. This would have been a problem during the dark days of AWB, but it’s hard for me to worry now.
    100% disagree. Thats a holdover from the days of shitty mag designs. Certainly magazines can be damaged from abuse, but they should not be destroyed just from normal operation.

How often do you dispose of your mags? I have piles of OEM Glock mags from Gen3-Gen5. The Gen3 mags that I've been using for 15 years are completely serviceable.

Site Supporter
    This is definitely an issue for anyone currently dealing with a state level capacity restriction with grandfathered magazines. I agree that a polymer magazine catch should be offered.

If I owned one of these, I would run Magpul magazines for cheap replacement, and would use Magpul 10 round magazines for practice if in a restricted state.

I can also make Glock OEM magazines last well over a decade in my Glocks, but have seen some 1911 magazines from companies many here like wear out within a few years of weekly use.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Magazines are a wear item.

The pistols I own are all matched in material between mag catches and mag bodies, so maybe there’s not such a disagreement?

Everything is a compromise. If Glock mags and 1911 system combined are the requirements, then it looks like one of the trade offs is accelerated mag wear. A composite mag catch would be cool, the manufacturer or the aftermarket has to see a business case.

My favorite mag and catch setup is by far the USP, but that has its own unique tradeoffs- just like everything else.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I do note that my gun still has inadequate extractor tension. I've bent the extractor to increase but will probably have to remove some metal off the tab behind the hook.

Right now the gun (with no mag in) drops the casings through the ejection port or stove pipes.

I am about 300 rounds in. The gun is running fine with JHP and ball and with PMAGs.

User Tag List