Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Stealth Arms Platypus

I've got a budget category set aside for one of these this year as my first foray into the 1911/2011 world. I've been a Glock shooter the entire time I've been pistol shooting, so when the Staccato became popular I couldn't stomach that magazine cost. I understand that's a matter of perspective, "stop being poor", and all that. This is a tailor-made solution to get someone like me interested in the platform.
    With the new options out, what would make the bull barrel option more desirable over the barrel bushing setup? I know in my brief research that the Staccato and other 2011 platforms all have the bull barrel. Is the reason performance based or ease-of-manufacturing based?

Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    I've got a budget category set aside for one of these this year as my first foray into the 1911/2011 world. I've been a Glock shooter the entire time I've been pistol shooting, so when the Staccato became popular I couldn't stomach that magazine cost. I understand that's a matter of perspective, "stop being poor", and all that. This is a tailor-made solution to get someone like me interested in the platform.
    With the new options out, what would make the bull barrel option more desirable over the barrel bushing setup? I know in my brief research that the Staccato and other 2011 platforms all have the bull barrel. Is the reason performance based or ease-of-manufacturing based?
    Some of the bull barrel is performance based. Some is cool factor. The heavier profile translates to slightly less recoil. It can also be more accurate since the barrel and slide interface together without the possible tolerance of a moveable bushing in between. But these do add a bit of weight to the platform if that's a concern.

I do understand the mag thing to a point but also see it as a novelty. As I've said, buying a $1,700 pistol to use $20 mags is probably not the best way to save money. Something like a Prodigy for $1200 or a MAC for $850 and then four or five Atlas mags for $275‐$325 will probably give a similar shooting experience.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Most Glock owners have a lot of extra magazines so the Platypus is a "gateway drug" to the cocked and locked world.
    Less expensive STI copies don't give them that rationalization.

The Oracle uses Sig magazines.
    Would it pay somebody to tool up for a 2011 mutant loading S&W M&P magazines?
    Is there any other pattern of magazine worth setting up for; Beretta, maybe?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    I prefer a bushing because it is softer steel than the barrel or slide, and wears instead of either the barrel or slide wearing. When the gun starts to shoot loose, simply replace the bushing instead of the barrel or slide.

For shorter barrel lengths, I understand that it is easier to make a direct barrel/slide interface more reliable.

Since most other guns do not rely on a bushing, it is probably not a big deal.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Most Glock owners have a lot of extra magazines so the Platypus is a "gateway drug" to the cocked and locked world.
    Less expensive STI copies don't give them that rationalization.

The Oracle uses Sig magazines.
    Would it pay somebody to tool up for a 2011 mutant loading S&W M&P magazines?
    Is there any other pattern of magazine worth setting up for; Beretta, maybe?
    I'm actually surprised Oracle is making a P320 compatible 1911. Are the 320 mags so common as to make a pistol worthwhile? Apparently so.

One noteworthy thing is the Glock has the built in shelf to prevent over insertion. This means the longer mags don't relay on a telescoping base plate to keep the mag from hitting the ejector.

One down side to the Glock is the overall size. They really aren't any smaller than STI mags even though they are dedicated 9 mm mags and not 45 mags being used to run 9 mm. The Platypus grip may still be a little big for some shooters. I'd guess the 2311 will be a little better here.

Another thing (Honest Outlaw comments on this) is that Glock mags are shorter than the comparable STI mags. With the mag well installed the Papyrus grip gets pretty cramped.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Another thing (Honest Outlaw comments on this) is that Glock mags are shorter than the comparable STI mags. With the mag well installed the Papyrus grip gets pretty cramped.Tapatalk
    Huh. Is it a shorter grip than a G17 in that case, possibly due to a difference in how high up the mag sits when seated? That could have implications on the possibility of a version taking 19 makes and whether it’s even necessary. I guess I was assuming this was more of a Staccato P equivalent as opposed to a C/C2 but I haven’t seen a good size comparison - maybe it’s in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    Huh. Is it a shorter grip than a G17 in that case, possibly due to a difference in how high up the mag sits when seated? That could have implications on the possibility of a version taking 19 makes and whether it’s even necessary. I guess I was assuming this was more of a Staccato P equivalent as opposed to a C/C2 but I haven’t seen a good size comparison - maybe it’s in between.
    The Platypus grip is more or less the same length as a G17 but the Glock allows for a higher overall grip because there's no need to accommodate a grip safety, hammer and sear pins, etc.

Part of it is the way the mags and grip sit together.

On the 2011 the bottom front of the mag well sits lower than the bottom rear of the mag well when the slide is level with the group. On the Platypus the front and bottom of the mag well are parallel with the slide. This means there's a little less room around the front of the grip for a mag well.

Stealth could probably make a "tactical" or more low profile mag well for shooters with bigger hands. Or these shooters can simply take the mag well off and run the gun au naturel.

What all this really tells us is there's a market for good yet inexpensive STI mags. When MEC-GAR Para Ordnance mags are $35 at full retail wouldn't that suggest the MG could make STI mags for about the same price? Decent mags that sell for $26 or so through various distributors would make lots of 2011 owners happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Some of the bull barrel is performance based. Some is cool factor. The heavier profile translates to slightly less recoil. It can also be more accurate since the barrel and slide interface together without the possible tolerance of a moveable bushing in between. But these do add a bit of weight to the platform if that's a concern.

I do understand the mag thing to a point but also see it as a novelty. As I've said, buying a $1,700 pistol to use $20 mags is probably not the best way to save money. Something like a Prodigy for $1200 or a MAC for $850 and then four or five Atlas mags for $275‐$325 will probably give a similar shooting experience.

It's not just money saving. All I have are Glocks and a ton of Glock mags. If I introduce the Platypus, I don't have to spend ANY money on mags and I still have a common mag for all my guns. I don't have budget to buy 5 Platypus guns this year if I just fall in love with the platform, but the Glocks will always work if I have to send the Platypus back for work or have to do the more intensive maintenance on it.
    There's principal involved too. I have AR-15s that are $3000 and up packages, but I don't have to buy $75 magazines for those. I haven't had to put up with expensive mags up to this point, so I'm less inclined to do so than those who have a bunch of different pistols and were into this 2011 thing from the start. From my viewpoint, Glock mags are durable, reliable, inexpensive, and easy to source. Why would I want to give that up if I don't have to? If the Platypus didn't exist and I just couldn't stand being the only dude at the range without a Staccato anymore, I'd probably give in eventually. Stealth Arms found a way to reach me.

Name:  Screenshot 2024-02-22 111032.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  30.7 KB

Site Supporter
    T says: "Isn't the whole idea behind the Platypus the idea that it removes mag drama from the 1911 equation? Shooters may still want to dedicate some mags for Usage A and some mags for Usage B, but should they have to? Should the pistol itself have some sort of design parameter that requires the shooter to monitor mags and replace them periodically?

1. I was taught early on to have carry mags and training mags, regardless of platform.

2. Should they HAVE to? If they want to minimize issues at the most inopportune of times, I would say yes. I baby my carry mags. They never hit the ground.

3. As and others have stated, mags are consumables. Consumables and indeed all mission critical gear should be monitored and replaced periodically. It was always moderately ironic to watch very talented old school 1911 IPSC guys have a malfunction messing up what was otherwise a dynamite run. Almost always, it was a mag. A mag that had been in their shooting bag for years that they forgot to pound the feeds lips down for the umpteenth time.

4. For .20 cents a day, I can have 3 New Glock OEM EDC mags yearly presuming 25USD per.

Bottom Line- If the reviews continue trending in this direction and I was ready to make the 4k commitment (carry gun/practice gun), the beginning/middle/end life cycle of an EDC Glock OEM mag (or even a vetted Magpul) would not slow me down a bit because the pistol had a metal mag release that might could tear up a polymer mag over time.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List