Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Stealth Arms Platypus

A Thursday pic.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Sage Dynamics posted his 2,000 round review for Patreon subscribers. He likes the gun and plans on keeping it as part of his rotation.

Unfortunately he rotated 25+ mags through the gun in his review (see comments section), so it’s difficult to use his data to draw conclusions on magazine wear.

However, I think that we will soon reach a critical mass of support for this gun such that SA or the aftermarket will come up with a polymer mag release, or people will simply accept that mags will wear every 4-5K rounds and need to be replaced as a cost of doing business if this continues to be an issue.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    Edge of my lane.

If my PP otherwise ran well and ran well on Glock OEMs at 20ish per every rounds, I would simply chalk up 3 fresh edc mags a year as the cost of doing business and drive on.

3 edc per year, 6 training mags. At the end of the year, the edc go into the training pile, edcs replaced and the training pile grows.

Since we all number our mags and have had set aside edc and training mags forever anyway, no muss, no fuss. If a mag starts acting up it goes in/stays in the training pile. And/or gets trashed.

All mags, even under the most ideal of conditions are consumables.

Color me intrigued. I frankly would need to shoot one to be convinced as this would be a 4 k swing in the end by the time I bought a carry gun, a training gun, RDS x2 plus holsters/pouches.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    New grip texture and a bull barrel option are now on the website

Quote Originally Posted by loper77 View Post
    New grip texture and a bull barrel option are now on the website
    I'll probably sell my current pistol and buy one of these new ones. I'm not super happy with the chain link texture. I'm also wishing I'd have gone ACRO footprint and ambi safety.

Honestly, I think the mag catch issue is overblown.

Like most people, I've always set aside mags specifically for carry and then a stockpile for range use. The range mags got replaced almost annually due to being beat up so bad. EDC mags got replaced as needed. I don't shoot Glocks anymore but I still follow this practice. I will say I find myself replacing M&P mags less frequently, especially now that I'm out of LE and I'm not training as hard.

I don't think most people will find themselves shooting and training enough to have to worry about the metal mag catch wearing out mags in any kind of premature fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre3 View Post
    Like most people, I've always set aside mags specifically for carry and then a stockpile for range use.
    Isn't the whole idea behind the Platypus the idea that it removes mag drama from the 1911 equation? Shooters may still want to dedicate some mags for Usage A and some mags for Usage B, but should they have to? Should the pistol itself have some sort of design parameter that requires the shooter to monitor mags and replace them periodically?

Regardless, this is all mostly just theory. My mags that are showing wear still seem to be working fine. Cowan mentions it might be an issue in his videos but then doesn't seem to have any problems. Others, like Humble Marksman, have apparently used these guns quite a bit without having any mag failures.

User Tag List