Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Stealth Arms Platypus

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Glock mags will hopefully be without drama in this gun. That includes PMAG and factory variety. I don't have any EPS or Korean mags but maybe I'll get one or two to mess with later on down the road.

As for the 2011--the Atlas mags have been excellent. They work perfectly in my Prodigy and my Girsan and don't see to have any issue with JHP, SWC or FMJ. They also lock the slide open and drop free without troubles. They run $60. There are less expensive options (Dura Mag and Check Mate) but if these need new springs or bending and tweaking to make work you're probably better off just buying the Atlas.

One possible advantage to the Plat is the availability of duty, concealment and competition mag pouches. It should be way easier to find a specific brand or style for Glock mags. 2011 pouches seem to be somewhat limited.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Where are you getting $60 Atlas mags?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Doesn't the DWX use an existing CZ magazine?
    Yes.

DWX = CZ P09 / P10F 19rd & 21rd mags

DWX Compact = CZ 75 Compact mags with baseplate modification, CZ75 mags extended:

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/...azines.209549/

I want to try one of these. I've been tempted by the Staccato for a while now but being a Glock 9mm shooter 99.99% of the time and having so many G17 mags makes this way more practical. I wish they were more common so I could try one before ordering but I'd sell of my only 1911 real quick if this works and shoots well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I want to try one of these.
    Check gunbroker. There are a couple different Platypi listed for sale now with prices that are about what you'd pay from Stealth. Of course there's no custom order possible this way but there's also no five month wait.

If you don't like it (and I don't know why you wouldn't if you already like 1911s) you could probably re-list on GB and resell it without taking too big a hit.

I took the red dot off my Prodigy so it would sit at essentially the same plane as the Platypus. Doing this made photographing the grip angles easier.

Bottoms of the frames are quite different.

Front and rear of the respective grip areas. I'd say they're identical.

Continuing with talk about X300s and such.

I just got one of the new Safariland RDSO ALS holsters. This is the newer style with the big open boxy appearance made to accept Aimpoint ACRO and similar optics.

The holster packaging lists a bunch of lights as is often the case with the Safariland holsters. The TLR-1HL and Night Stick TWM-30 are both listed. With either of these installed on the pistol the gun won't fit in the holster. The combo is too tall. I can sort of cram in the Night Stick but then the muzzle is out of alignment with the barrel plug. Shaving the plug would probably work but then I wonder if the holster will work with my Prodigy.

Anyway, the holster does seem to work just fine with the Papyrus and a TLR-9 installed. I kind of like this light and wasn't really using it on anything at the moment so it worked out.

I played around a good bit with working the light from the holster in dry fire.

The holster badly needs to be redesigned. More correctly the ALS lever needs to be moved. It should be more forward and release the pistol sooner than it does presently. Yes, it does essentially force the thumb into deactivating the safety on the presentation but I would prefer to make my own decisions in this regard. I will have to try the Nub Mod for Staccato and see how that changes the release point.

The light is actually pretty decent. I find the switches to be pretty easy to use. Probably the best way to use the light is quick press for constant on and then quick press for off. Anyway I think Streamlight is missing an opportunity here with the TLR-9 concept as a duty light. I think what they need is sort of a hybrid that's essentially the TLR-7 body but with a new high candela head. This imaginary light would be sized to run on an 18650 but would be dual fuel and also work on a CR123 in a pinch. The overall length would be something more like the TLR-1 but it would use the removable bezel for battery swaps. It would essentially be Streamlight's answer to the Modlite.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I played around a good bit with working the light from the holster in dry fire.

The holster badly needs to be redesigned. More correctly the ALS lever needs to be moved. It should be more forward and release the pistol sooner than it does presently. Yes, it does essentially force the thumb into deactivating the safety on the presentation but I would prefer to make my own decisions in this regard. I will have to try the Nub Mod for Staccato and see how that changes the release point.

The light is actually pretty decent. I find the switches to be pretty easy to use. Probably the best way to use the light is quick press for constant on and then quick press for off. Anyway I think Streamlight is missing an opportunity here with the TLR-9 concept as a duty light. I think what they need is sort of a hybrid that's essentially the TLR-7 body but with a new high candela head. This imaginary light would be sized to run on an 18650 but would be dual fuel and also work on a CR123 in a pinch. The overall length would be something more like the TLR-1 but it would use the removable bezel for battery swaps. It would essentially be Streamlight's answer to the Modlite.
    I assume you meant an 18350, using an 18650 would make the Modlite look like a micro light lol. What you're suggesting would be an ideal WML, however. If it's even remotely possible, I hope someone pulls it off!

Quote Originally Posted by Basher View Post
    I assume you meant an 18350....
    Oops. Yes. 18350.

As an aside, I have been using a 16650 in my TLR-9.

With the TLR-9

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

User Tag List