Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy optics and reliability

This is why eventually there will be frame mounted carry optics as optics get larger and larger.

Big optics are great from a shooting standpoint but are asking for reduced margin if you don’t tune the SYSTEM.

Basically if it’s not a stock gun because it has a mailbox on it, don’t expect a stock RSA to be the prudent choice…

We did some testing this afternoon trying to tease out what the effect of the comp is versus the heavy optic.

First, I unscrewed the Mayhem compensator and had Charlie shoot her Gen 5 19 with the Acro, trying to isolate the comp. It wouldn't run support hand only for her with 115 AE. Next we tried 124 Lawman and it still wouldn't run.

Next, I removed the Acro and screwed the comp back on. With the comp, but without the Acro, the gun ran one hand with AE 115 and 124 Lawman. That suggests the Acro has more of a negative effect than the comp, which I would have never predicted.

Finally, I had her shoot AE and Lawman, support hand only with a Gen 5 19 with the Mayhem comp and 509T. It would not run reliably for her support hand only in that configuration.

Tomorrow, we plan to do some more testing with her comp'd G4 19 and 509T that has always been reliable. I am also wondering whether the Gen 5 19 RSA is heavier than the Gen 4 19 RSA, and whether that may be a contributing factor.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    We did some testing this afternoon trying to tease out what the effect of the comp is versus the heavy optic.

First, I unscrewed the Mayhem compensator and had Charlie shoot her Gen 5 19 with the Acro, trying to isolate the comp. It wouldn't run support hand only for her with 115 AE. Next we tried 124 Lawman and it still wouldn't run.

Next, I removed the Acro and screwed the comp back on. With the comp, but without the Acro, the gun ran one hand with AE 115 and 124 Lawman. That suggests the Acro has more of a negative effect than the comp, which I would have never predicted.

Finally, I had her shoot AE and Lawman, support hand only with a Gen 5 19 with the Mayhem comp and 509T. It would not run reliably for her support hand only in that configuration.

Tomorrow, we plan to do some more testing with her comp'd G4 19 and 509T that has always been reliable. I am also wondering whether the Gen 5 19 RSA is heavier than the Gen 4 19 RSA, and whether that may be a contributing factor.
    If these are for competition, no big deal.

Following this with interest. I have a pair of identical G19.5s: Apex triggers and connectors, Tango Down slide stop levers and mag releases, SCDs (the only difference is one has a LTT SCD, the other a Tau Development unit), and Holosun 509T-GR X2 optics on Holosun steel plates. Both have 800 rounds fired, IRRC.

A few weeks ago I had a failure to extract with the LTT SCD gun shooting 115 gr. Magtech WHO. The Tau SCD gun did not malfunction with the same ammo, although I was using @Clusterfrack’s “Reverse Gangster” technique, which locks the wrist and moves the recoil up the arm.

I’m thinking I’ll run some 147 through both guns to see if the problem replicates.

I’m in the process of setting up a 47 MOS…was originally planning to use an ACRO, but wondering if a heavier optic will decrease reliability. @GJM did you notice any significant difference in the rate of malfunctions between the ACRO and 509?

Anecdotally, the 509T seems less problematic than the Acro.

I have lab to have my wife shoot a 19 with a comp and EPS tomorrow. The EPS is much lighter, same weight as an RMR.

Sub for interest

I have a new g34 gen 3 with a 507 comp that is experiencing a mix of issues.

First 50 rounds were with Herter's 115 gr.
    During this the slide felt noticeably slower compared to an iron sighted G34 with same ammo. The first 3-4 rounds out of 10 round mags the slide would not fully go into battery.

The next 100 rounds were with WWB 115gr. The gun preformed better but experienced 2 hard malfunctions. One stovepipe, and one failure to feed.
    Not too sure if all of this is because the gun is new, or because of the 507 comp.

Some things to note.
    I only added some oil and shot it with the factory copper anti-seize
    Using mags that have about 500 rounds each, and are 10 rounders
    The lock up is tighter than my iron sighed g34, and just working the slide the gun feels tight

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Anecdotally, the 509T seems less problematic than the Acro.

I have lab to have my wife shoot a 19 with a comp and EPS tomorrow. The EPS is much lighter, same weight as an RMR.
    Same experience on 509t vs acro

I put some different configurations out for my wife to do more testing later today.

Name:  IMG_4302.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  28.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by alecks View Post
    Sub for interest

During this the slide felt noticeably slower compared to an iron sighted G34 with same ammo. The first 3-4 rounds out of 10 round mags the slide would not fully go into battery.

The next 100 rounds were with WWB 115gr. The gun preformed better but experienced 2 hard malfunctions. One stovepipe, and one failure to feed.
    Not too sure if all of this is because the gun is new, or because of the 507 comp.

Some things to note.
    The lock up is tighter than my iron sighed g34, and just working the slide the gun feels tight
    In my experience, a 34 needs higher power factor ammo to run reliably.

Quote Originally Posted by alecks View Post
    Sub for interest

Some things to note.
    IMO, for target power ammo Glocks really should be run with 15# RSA or less.

If adding compensators, have to go down to 13 or less but then run into FTRB sometimes if you thumb drag slides or gun is dirty.

I generally run 11# springs on uncompensated gamer Glocks.

When people have less rigorous recoil control or get in a compromising situation where the mechanics could get sketchy, you’d want more margin.

There’s a reason why people do lightening cut slides for compensated guns.

It adds back some margin.

Basically you can’t get something for nothing and Glock RSAs were designed for LEO powered ammo with iron sights.

I’ve seen more new stock Glock failures at the range trying to shoot target ammo by new shooters than almost any other gun.

User Tag List