Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Staccato

I know a couple guys that use MBX as duty mags and factory mags for training

I've been diligently documenting my experience in this thread. Now over 13,000 rounds downrange. My particular sample is one of the most reliable pistols I've ever owned.

2000 Rounds with the Staccato P DPO

Mine needed some blending on the manual safety; Staccato took care of that quickly and at their expense. My understanding is that recent production pistols no longer exhibit this problem. Personally, I think the optic mounting system could be improved, but Staccato is hardly the only gun with optic mounting issues. I think @JCN may be onto something with using E6000...

As for magazines, my only experience is with the Staccato G3; based on my personal experience (over 13K rounds without a magazine attributable malfunction), I’m confident that the G3 magazine has been sorted out and represents the yardstick. Personally, I see no performance benefit to the costly Atlas or MBX magazines. Similarly, I'm not interested in compromising reliability by saving a few bucks with the questionable Duramag or through the various companies offering GEN2 magazines under their own branding.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I like my P quite a lot. 5k thru it since December and short of some issues in the beginning from my thumbing the slide it’s been a dream. Last 2k+ no malfunctions. I use only atlas, staccato and mbx mags.

Mine is far from stock but that’s mostly because it’s a gamer gun.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

MBX mags are the HK mags of 2011 platform. They were built from scratch and everyone that I know that uses a 2011 for duty runs them as carry mags and stock/cheaper mags are for range time. None of them care that their duty mags cost that much. It’s what’s on their belt and what they have to entrust their lives too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only have one, but know lots of people with multiples. Honestly I wonder how some of them afford it. I like my C2 a lot, but it hasn't completely converted me to 2011's.

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    MBX mags are the HK mags of 2011 platform. They were built from scratch and everyone that I know that uses a 2011 for duty runs them as carry mags and stock/cheaper mags are for range time. None of them care that their duty mags cost that much. It’s what’s on their belt and what they have to entrust their lives too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeow. $125 mags - I feel like I’m back in P7 land.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Yeow. $125 mags - I feel like I’m back in P7 land.
    So this is where that whole hardware vs software and gun owner / gun collector vs shooter thing comes into play.

The majority of people I know who run Stacattos and are invested enough in them to buy MBX mags buy ammo, not guns. They don’t own 50 or 100 guns and they’re not constantly changing guns. They’re invested in a couple platforms to include enablers and support gear.

Nor are they squirreling away 100 magazines that rarely if ever get used.

I mentioned a buddy of mine who put 108,000 rounds through his staccato Stacatto P. At current prices ($250 a case) that’s $27,000 worth of 9mm ball.

At that point how significant is $750 for six “working” magazines ?

What we’re really talking about is $330 difference in price between six $70 mags ($420) and six $125 mags ($750).

Of course, unlike a P7 you can put more than three magazines through your staccato without needing an asbestos glove.

Site Supporter
    I have a C2 and a P. I fitted the P with a C2/VIP grip because it hides better and I don't mind losing one round in the first mag. They both shoot great, and if I was only going to get one I would probably stick with the P and the C2 grip. The only reason I went with a Staccato is because of their DUO system for mounting red dots and my love of 1911s. I use mostly g2 and G3 mags and some of the centrifuge 17 round mags for training and range. so far I haven't had any issues with the mags, and the only malfunctions I have had are with the c2 with a threat cadre compensator. To be honest, if you are invested in another platform I am not sure they are worth it, but if you love the 1911/2011 platforms I am not sure there is another production gun that beats the staccato, especially for mounting red dots with their DUO system.

I have four.

The first is an STI Tactical 4" that I understand to be a somewhat in between gun that came out after the ownership change at STI and before the introduction of the Staccato P (and well before the name change from STI to Staccato). Uses the older HOST optics platform but is very similar to the first gen Staccato P in design language. Never had an issue with it.

After that I grabbed a C2 as soon as they were available. No issues with it.

Then I got a P. I like the 4.4" format better than the 4.15". Also never a problem with it.

Finally, I grabbed an XC last year. Lights out.

I've probably got 25-30 magazines. All are Gen 2 and 3 STI/Staccato and a few Triarc (same OEM as Staccato). Springs tend to get weak on the 140 mm ones. I replace them with Atlas or TTI springs once that happens.

Fit and finish are good on all of mine.

The 2011 platform is a performance platform and requires attention from the end user to run optimally. Like a performance car, you're going to need to be fastidious about maintenance to keep it going, but properly maintained, it will do more than a Camry.

I took the plunge

Name:  IMG_4079.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  77.4 KB
    I have been yearning for a premium hand gun. I traded in my Prodigy 4.25 and got fair price for it. The Prodigy ran good after I sent it back to SA and the Staccato P is a notable step up. I’m super excited to start shooting it tomorrow.

User Tag List