Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a Hill People Gear Kit Bag

Help me choose a Hill People Gear Kit Bag

I do a lot of fishing in remote places, and I need a better way to carry my HK P30SK or perhaps even my P30. I’ve settled on a Hill People Gear Kit Bag, but there are so many options that I am little confused about which would be best for my purposes.

I’d like to carry the handgun and one or two spare magazines. I am 5' 11" and 185 lbs. Which kit bag is big enough but not too big?

What else do you want to carry in it? I’ve been using them since they came out and have accumulated five. I’m guessing a medium recon might work for what you want.

The options boil down to two (2) overall sized footprint options, total number of pockets (which equates to thickness), and exterior attachment points like PALS webbing, velcro, etc.

Based on the hardware you mentioned, you would need the larger footprint (7.5 x 11.5) and whether you need the extra storage space of depth via the extra pockets (1", 1.5" & 2.5" deep) would simply be your personal preference. Same with the PALS attachment options.

I bought an Original sized KB back when that's all they offered and I have seldom wished for one of the smaller, slimmer options. Having said that, I can obviousy see some of the other options being better suited if all you wanted to carry was a gun.

The comparison chart from their website:

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    The options boil down to two (2) overall sized footprint options, total number of pockets (which equates to thickness), and exterior attachment points like PALS webbing, velcro, etc.

Based on the hardware you mentioned, you would need the larger footprint (7.5 x 11.5) and whether you need the extra storage space of depth via the extra pockets (1", 1.5" & 2.5" deep) would simply be your personal preference. Same with the PALS attachment options.

I bought an Original sized KB back when that's all they offered and I have seldom wished for one of the smaller, slimmer options. Having said that, I can obviousy see some of the other options being better suited if all you wanted to carry was a gun.

The comparison chart from their website:

There’s a medium footprint option now also. I don’t have one but do have a medium Belt Pack which is the same configuration except for the harness.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    There’s a medium footprint option now also. I don’t have one but do have a medium Belt Pack which is the same configuration except for the harness.
    Yep, I forgot about that size. Thanks for catching that booboo.

It's a 10" x 7" foot print.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I chose the HPG Recon version with Molle attachments. The reason is that it allowed me to configure the bag as I wished and reconfigure/adapt as I went.

Some of the pics have my company boxes of ammo. Please forgive that. It is just that at the moment, they are what I have showing items in the kit bag to give a good representation. I have a couple more with the bag mostly empty, with just a large frame Glock 20/21, that I will post after look through my pics and find them.

Instead of the traditional method of putting the handgun inside the zippered pouch, I attached an old M4 double mag pouch to the outside, using the Molle webbing. I then use one of the mag pouches as a "holster". The flap is simply tucked in, unless the terrain or something else dictates more security, then I can fold the flap over and provide extra retention.

This gives me MUCH fast speed in presentation of the handgun, vs using the zippered pouch.

Here it is with a Glock 22:

Then, if I get near a trailhead or around people where I prefer for the handgun not to be seen, I can simply put it in the main zippered pouch and it is out of sight, out of mind.

This has proven to be an extremely effective method for me. The pouch fits most semi auto pistols well enough, and if you attach a weapons light to the bottom of a Glock for example, it is almost like a custom fit, which works extremely well. I always have a headlamp on me, night or day, when on a trail, but redundancy is a great thing.

After a considerable amount of trial and error and adaptation over the years, I have found that this method works very well for me.

Hope this helps.

I have a Heavy Recon, not because I specifically chose that model, but because that was what showed up used on one forum or another. Come to think of it, it might be this one.

I have a Blue Force Gear .308 triple mag shingle on the front. In the pistol compartment, I've carried a Glock 20 and a 4.2" GP100 (not at the same time) so your HK should fit just fine. In the center compartment, I keep extra ammo, snacks and various odds and ends. My Garmin GPS usually rides in one of the mag shingles, attached to the kit bag with a lanyard. I often wear it hunting so I also stash calls and a little 8x monocular in the mag shingles.

You can stuff a surprising amount of stuff in one, but it can get too heavy and unwieldy. If you are judicious about what you pack, they stay fairly flat and you don't even know it's there. I would imagine you would find it handy to keep fishing gear in there too.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I have 2, original full size and an original snubby. I have paired both with the Recon harness. The are my "get home" bags and are loaded as such even though a may have a larger main pack, sometimes the Kit bags stand alone. They carry my firearm, FAK, minimal food, compass, fire, coms devices and a few other little things, a Mora is strapped to the bottom on both. The recon harness allows me to drop in a hydration bag and the tabs can be used to tie on other gear. Having them set up this way allows me to transfer needs and drop unnecessary gear and equipment to make it back to civilization, Alive. Minus firearm/ammo and water, neither bag weighs over 5 pounds. The large "just fits" a 5-inch GP100 and I have no problem with a 3-inch GP100 in the Snubby.

If all you want to carry is firearm and ammo, It's the Runners bag in the size you need.

This thread just cost me money I ordered a Original medium. Gotta have a full set....

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    If all you want to carry is firearm and ammo, It's the Runners bag in the size you need.
    This. I have the original regular sized runners bag, and I use it just about every time I leave the city limits. Reasons for this choice: thin; no overt molle; big enough to hold whatever gat I feel like putting in there. Mine has med stuff—including clot/TQ /gauze and even small eye wash vials—a compass, and a fire starter in the front pocket, and I have a decent collection of trigger guards that I can use with the main pocket… I’ve carried 1911s in there, K-frames, j-frames, a 45LC Blackhawk, and even a G42, because it was on hand for fatbiking day. All the handguns stay put in the inner pouch with the trigger guard loop, and I leave the other stuff in the front pocket full-time. Only the spare ammo carriers swap with the guns. Very useful kit. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I have the heavy recon version in coyote tan which I have enjoyed, but if I were to buy today it would be the medium original kit bag in a less tactical color like grouse or manatee for more versatility in public.

User Tag List