Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single Officer Response to Active Threat course AAR

Single Officer Response to Active Threat course AAR

Some thoughts from a class I taught last week:

https://gunsnobbery.wordpress.com/20...e-threats-aar/
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I completely agree with you on the radio traffic. At one training I attended the trainers wanted a running commentary on your position. It seemed like a bad idea to me.

Our small Ohio agency will be doing online training. What blocks do you suggest? Go to PM if you wish. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I completely agree with you on the radio traffic. At one training I attended the trainers wanted a running commentary on your position. It seemed like a bad idea to me.
    Yes. Very bad idea. We’re seeing a lot of people monitoring us on scanner apps. Guys have been hearing themselves coming from phones in cars they’ve stopped.

Then there’s this active shooter who used a scanner to monitor the PD:
    https://www.policemag.com/patrol/news/15541710/mass-shooting-suspect-wearing-armor-and-using-police-scanner-kills-5-in-philadelphia?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=emai l&utm_campaign=20230704_1683:64a46506ea7152ee84078 814t_NL-POL-OnTarget-20230704&omid=1000341058&cid=632c90909319ba27c10da 7ad
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Our small Ohio agency will be doing online training. What blocks do you suggest? Go to PM if you wish. Thanks.
    I’ll send a PM
    Formerly known as xpd54.

Excess radio traffic is not just a problem during active killer events. Look at all of the OIS videos with cops yammering to dispatch rather than solving the lethal force problem they are facing. Shut up, shoot the dude or dudette, end the problem, then you can talk.
    Last edited by Erick Gelhaus; 07-05-2023 at 05:52 PM.

Site Supporter
    Edge of my lane at best- to paraphrase from my former Apache Driving now Airline Pilot cousin.

Aviate 1st and foremost.

Then Navigate.

Finally, you can can Communicate.

How many videos do we see of folks keying the mike-"shots fired" , taking their hand off the gun when the incident has not remotely concluded.

Blessings to you all who answer(ed) the call.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Excess radio traffic is not just a problem during active killer events. Look at all of the PIS videos with cops yammering to dispatch rather than solving the lethal force problem they are facing. Shut up, shoot the dude or dudette, end the problem, then you can talk.
    Totally agree.
    Formerly known as xpd54.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Excess radio traffic is not just a problem during active killer events. Look at all of the OIS videos with cops yammering to dispatch rather than solving the lethal force problem they are facing. Shut up, shoot the dude or dudette, end the problem, then you can talk.
    I thought I was the only one who started noticing that as a trend. Although my continued yelling at the TV screen is likely even less useful...

My dept videos seem to be less bad in this regard but I still can't believe how long it takes nowadays to get to the "Make" portion of the Ask, Tell, Make progression.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Good stuff, Lon. I agree that there's way too much radio traffic from everyone, and most of what could be useful gets covered by other radios. I also like the OIS vs gunfight, and not letting an OIS become a gunfight. I find it interesting (in a bad way) that officers are playing for the body cam.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List