Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inner Duty Belt

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I actually use both velcro and keepers. That photo was just quick for the forum, but I normally have keepers as well. I've zip ties some pouches in place, and added adhesive loop velcro to the back of the pouches. I'll keep the cobra buckle in mind, I've seen one of our guys doing that.
    Can you switch out that garbage plastic belt clip for an Australpin? Those plastic ones come loose after they get a little wear on them and pop when you're rolling around on the ground with a dude, or trying to get your ass over a fence. Both happened to me. Luckily, I always wore at least two keepers, but talk about embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Can you switch out that garbage plastic belt clip for an Australpin? Those plastic ones come loose after they get a little wear on them and pop when you're rolling around on the ground with a dude, or trying to get your ass over a fence. Both happened to me. Luckily, I always wore at least two keepers, but talk about embarrassing.
    At least one guy at work uses a cobra buckle. But, I'm still new and he's been on for about a year. He's also on SWAT and a former green beret.

What he can do and what I can do are not the same. It's something I'll keep in mind for down the road when I have more time on.

At least one guy at work uses a cobra buckle. But, I'm still new and he's been on for about a year. He's also on SWAT and a former green beret.

What he can do and what I can do are not the same. It's something I'll keep in mind for down the road when I have more time on.
    Knowing your place in the agency is a valuable skill. I'd advise against any changes pushing the uniform policy until you're off probation/FTO, etc.

Came here to point toward Volund as well. I’ve used their stuff for many years, including their slim belts for my daily uniform. Glad it looks like they were a decent solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I actually use both velcro and keepers. That photo was just quick for the forum, but I normally have keepers as well. I've zip ties some pouches in place, and added adhesive loop velcro to the back of the pouches.
    Security here, not LE, but I do the same thing—keepers plus hook/loop inner/outer combo with adhesive hook stuck to the back of some of the pouches to maximize the interface between the inner and outer belts. I've always looked at the hook and loop as a convenience, mostly for keeping the belt in place as I'm putting it on, while I consider the keepers the real insurance.

I've added velcro to the belt loops of pouches before. A little bit of a pain to glue it to leather, but it does help.

As a slight tangent regarding keepers....I recommend to folks to get two sets, because 4 keepers ain't enough. This at least gives you a couple of spares if one goes missing. I currently use 6 with my duty belt. I'm a strong proponent of placing a keeper on either side of the 6 0"clock belt loop to keep gear off your spine, and a keeper on either side of the holster, which anchors and stabilizes the holster for the draw, and keeps other gear from impeding the draw. I see a bunch of coppers with their baton or whatnot basically jammed up under the grip of their pistol.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I used to use a lot more keepers but as things have moved to the vest, that has negated the need for some of them. I have also learned to place them against a belt loop to further prevent the assembly from moving.

I respect this idea as it is not the prevailing mindset these days amongst new cops.

I have to ask. Does your policy expressly prohibit you from changing out the buckle?

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    I respect this idea as it is not the prevailing mindset these days amongst new cops.

I have to ask. Does your policy expressly prohibit you from changing out the buckle?
    No it does not. But again, I'm to new too play de jure vs de facto games. Especially over a buckle thats bearing nearly zero weight of my belt.

The guy I mentioned said his belt is an "x belt" that expands and contracts which sounds odd to me. He definitely likes it though.

At this point I think I have a belt set up that I'm satisfied with until my outer carrier comes in. Everything is forward of my hips, it's secure with velcro and keepers, can stay together for bathroom trips, and doesn't seem to cause pain after 12 hours.

I appreciate the guidance guys. PF top notch as always.

No it does not. But again, I'm to new too play de jure vs de facto games. Especially over a buckle thats bearing nearly zero weight of my belt.

The guy I mentioned said his belt is an "x belt" that expands and contracts which sounds odd to me. He definitely likes it though.

At this point I think I have a belt set up that I'm satisfied with until my outer carrier comes in. Everything is forward of my hips, it's secure with velcro and keepers, can stay together for bathroom trips, and doesn't seem to cause pain after 12 hours.

I appreciate the guidance guys. PF top notch as always.
    10-4.

I only asked because I've had plastic buckles break when going hands on. I figured if you could avoid having to learn this lesson first hand, then do so.

I completely respect your position as well as admire it. You sound like an excellent new hire.

User Tag List