Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small dia. Not small dacap pins

Small dia. Not small dacap pins

I feel as though this has been discussed previously, but couldn't find a thread.

Norma 9mm brass has a small diameter, perhaps .060 vs regular size flash hole that binds up the Dillon.

I have seen .057 offered but can't find ones with a head on them similar to Dillon.

Any suggestions?

And sorting by head stamp isn't going to happen. There is roughly 1000 Norma mixed with 15k.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Lee has a small diameter decapping pin that can be installed into their sizing die. I have not found a replacement Dillon decapping insert with a reduced diameter.

I’m sorting brass because of those Norma cases. The worse part is that it isn’t Norma across the board. It was a a certain run of ammo or cases made on a certain machine.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011210541?pid=578115

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1025594798?pid=942173

Chuck a spare pin in a drill and spin it in some sandpaper? Not sure how hardened the pins are or how hot they would get. I measured my Dillon pins at .75" .

Just spitballing.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    Chuck a spare pin in a drill and spin it in some sandpaper? Not sure how hardened the pins are or how hot they would get. I measured my Dillon pins at .75" .

Just spitballing.

Gringop
    That's plan C, I believe. I recall my father has some Lyman pins that look correct if memory serves. A buddy is micing the Hornady LNL pins at some point.

Looking for the easy button, but the chuck may be the solution.
    Taking a break from social media.

I am "sorting" them as I load.

I use the Lee sizing die and that uses the Squirrel Daddy pin and since it is held in a collet it just gets pushed up when it collides with a Norma case (or a pebble or other obstruction). I put a little flag of yellow electrical tape on the pin, if it gets pushed up I just remove the case from the next station (RL1100) and toss it, then I just tap the pin back down with a hammer without loosening the collet. Not very elegant but pretty simple. A bit more of a PITA on a 650, since they dispense a primer even when no case picks it up.

I sort mine as I reload on my old 550.

Started doing this, from my notes and posts, in the fall of 2021. I think I posted here and on my regional gun forum.
    PIA for sure.
    Removing the stuck decapping pins is even a greater PIA...

2021 was the first time in over 30 years of handloading I've had to sort 9mm brass. <sigh>

Fuck Norma brass and the horse it rode. I hope whoever at Norma thought that was a good idea now realizes that every serious shooter who uses 9mm range pickup brass now hates their company. I throw it away when I find it, but usually that happens when it jams my Dillon 1050.

I use a Lee Undersize 9mm die, and Squirrel Daddy hardened steel decapping pins. The undersize die is a must for reliable function without roll-sizing, and the SD decap pin can survive being pushed up by rocks, Berdan and Norma cases. #Norma , note how your company is now associated with Commie steelcase ammo
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Fuck Norma brass and the horse it rode. I hope whoever at Norma thought that was a good idea now realizes that every serious shooter who uses 9mm range pickup brass now hates their company. I throw it away when I find it, but usually that happens when it jams my Dillon 1050.

I use a Lee Undersize 9mm die, and Squirrel Daddy hardened steel decapping pins. The undersize die is a must for reliable function without roll-sizing, and the SD decap pin can survive being pushed up by rocks, Berdan and Norma cases. #Norma , note how your company is now associated with Commie steelcase ammo
    Small primer flash holes are a real problem at times. I'm a 357 SIG fanboi and Speer factory brass all has tiny little flash holes too. While I have a number of different decapping dies that can punch out the primer regardless of circumstances, another potential issue is the burr left in the primer pocket when a larger diameter decapper is used to decap small FH cases. I ended up using my drill-type flash hole uniformer in a drill, but in OPs situation this wouldn't be practical either. Also, if you use a decapper that has replaceable pins those pins can jam in the flash hole and be pulled out of the stem on the down stroke. I've done this before and have now switched over to using a Mighty Armory decapper die, but Even their smaller pin is too large for Norma and Speer.

The only reliable process I've found is to sort your cases before starting your loading. I actually size and decap on a single stage, long before I need to use the cases and get all of this out of the way in the beginning. This is a carryover from loading so damn much military .223/5.56 cases in my life.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

I’m a fan of the Mighty Armory die. I decap a lot of small flash hole brass. 6BR, 22BR, 22GT, 6x47L, 6Creed, 308 Palma, etc…. Obviously does not help if you are trying to decap and resize in the same die.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I use a Lee Undersize 9mm die, and Squirrel Daddy hardened steel decapping pins. The undersize die is a must for reliable function without roll-sizing, and the SD decap pin can survive being pushed up by rocks, Berdan and Norma cases.
    +1
    I have had good success with this combo.

User Tag List