Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: New Springfield pistol comin on 7/12/23!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnYankee View Post
    Can you post a pic of the grip please showing the texture?
    It’s hard to tell in pictures but it is more aggressive in hand. It’s in the border of not still not being aggressive enough for me but I’m gonna wait it out before I stipple it.

Name:  IMG_1450.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  33.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Brianjkeene View Post
    It’s hard to tell in pictures but it is more aggressive in hand. It’s in the border of not still not being aggressive enough for me but I’m gonna wait it out before I stipple it.
    Thanks.

New 6390 arrived. It seems pretty solid. Safariland seems to have made some improvements.

The nub is wider and textured. The UBL mount is now slotted for cant. I haven't tried yet but it looks long enough to accept the Modlite.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    New 6390 arrived. It seems pretty solid. Safariland seems to have made some improvements.

The nub is wider and textured. The UBL mount is now slotted for cant. I haven't tried yet but it looks long enough to accept the Modlite.

Looks good. My 6390RDSO arrives Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbonez View Post
    Looks good. My 6390RDSO arrives Monday.
    I wondered about that holster. In the end I decided I wanted a hooded one.

One thing I notice is a pretty decent gap around the trigger guard. I can't get my pointer finger in but I can insert my little finger and touch the trigger. Safariland probably should modify the holster body a bit to help address this. That and Springfield could widen the trigger guard a little to better fill this area in the holster.

The gap is enough that I can cram my pinky in and dry fire the holstered pistol.

Confirmed that the holster will accommodate the pistol with a PL350 attached. That's with the 1913 key set in the slot closest to the head.

I was supposed to shoot two matches today, but both were canceled due to thunderstorms. Since I was pretty bummed about that, I took the opportunity to go to the indoor range and put another 174rds through the Echelon. The goals for the range trip were to verify the zero of the 508T (it had only been “zeroed” using a laser boresight at home), and to shoot a couple of drills. Anmo used today was 125rds of Blazer 124gr FMJ and 49rds of Winchester 115gr FMJ. Total round count through the pistol since buying it 3 weeks ago is 327rds with no malfunctions.

I started with confirming the zero at 15yds, and I lucked out. I was hitting POA/POI without having to make an adjustment. Boresighting at home definitely helps save time and money on ammo, and in this particular instance it was dead on. I followed it up with shooting doubles at 8 and 10yds on paper USPSA metric targets. I mentioned in an earlier post that the Echelon recoils similarly to a G17. I’d like to amend that to that the Echelon has a slightly punchier recoil, but it’s nothing obnoxious. The pistol returns to target quickly with little to no degradation in keeping or returning the dot to the window. The pistol I shoot primarily is a particularly nice 2011, so I may be somewhat harsh in my assessment of the Echelon’s recoil compared to what pistol I shoot 95% of the time. Bottom Line: the Echelon is easy to shoot.

I wondered about that holster. In the end I decided I wanted a hooded one.

One thing I notice is a pretty decent gap around the trigger guard. I can't get my pointer finger in but I can insert my little finger and touch the trigger. Safariland probably should modify the holster body a bit to help address this. That and Springfield could widen the trigger guard a little to better fill this area in the holster.

The gap is enough that I can cram my pinky in and dry fire the holstered pistol.

Tokarev, thanks for the info! That’s good to know. My original intent was to top the Echelon with an RCR, so I chose the RDSO to accommodate a large enclosed emitter. I ended up buying a Holosun 508T instead to match the optic I use on my carry gun (ZEV OZ9c Duty). I like the features of that dot and it’s one of the best looking/performing dots paired with my astigmatism. I would have preferred the regular Safariland 6390RDS like you ended up buying, because it has a hood to protect the optic from the elements, but I ordered the holster the same day I bought the Echelon thinking I was going to be using an RCR. It was already too late to buy a standard 6390RDS once I put the 508T on the Echelon.

With that all said, I personally find what you described a non-issue. That’s a pretty specific set of circumstances that would need to occur. No doubt, it’s more open than a standard 6390RDS, but I trust in Safariland’s vetting process and their testing. Is it more likely that something could interact with the trigger compared to a standard 6390RDS, yes, but it’s still highly unlikely. Ultimately, it’s what the end user is most comfortable using. Just like AIWB is a no-go for some people, or using a striker fired gun AIWB (or a SAO gun). I don’t want to make it sound like I’m belittling your concern. I believe it is definitely something that should be brought up in a forum like this, and I appreciate you sharing that information.

I will keep this thread updated as I continue to shoot the Echelon and how I like using it with the RDSO holster.

I'm about a third of the way through the 2000 round challenge. 647 additional rounds fired as of about 15 minutes ago. Today's outing was a couple mags of Speer Gold Dot and some more Sterling steel case. I also shot 60 rounds of reloads which is a Berry 135 flat point and 3.5 grains of Tite Group.

Still no failures and the gun locks open every time when empty. I did have a light strike with one of my reloads but it went off on the 2nd attempt. It may have been a slightly high primer?

Quote Originally Posted by Timbonez View Post

Tokarev,

I personally find what you described a non-issue. That’s a pretty specific set of circumstances that would need to occur.
    Lots of speculation that this large opening is, at least partly, to blame for SIG's continued issues with uncommanded discharges. There have been issues with Glock pistols in these holsters as well.

Lots of speculation that this large opening is, at least partly, to blame for SIG's continued issues with uncommanded discharges. There have been issues with Glock pistols in these holsters as well.

Confirmed RDSOs? Like you said, it’s speculation. SIGs had “issues” prior to the release of this design. Can you point me towards the sources for the issues with Glocks and these holsters? I’d be interested to see the circumstances of them going off in these holsters.

User Tag List