Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: New Springfield pistol comin on 7/12/23!

It’s priced $200 over its real competition. There are a ton of high quality, modern, feature packed options in the $400 price range right now. I see nothing about Springfield’s new offering that would make me spend the extra cash on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    I dunno about that. The M17's are about $230 a pop. This is similar but made in Croatia, I'm sure their cost is sub $200.

However, don't police agencies have a strong preference (requirement?) for buying US made weapons?
    If the contract is large enough and requires US production, the winner will set up US production.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by MrInox View Post
    . I see nothing about Springfield’s new offering that would make me spend the extra cash on it.
    Agreed. I suspect this gun will be largely forgotten in a year or two.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I think it's nice that Springer/HS Produkt (however the hell that's spelled) is making a run at the LE market. But is this gun that much better to persuade an agency to dump their Glocks/M&Ps/HKs?Sigs and buy all new guns, magazines, holsters, as well as have their armorers trained to deal with the new guns and all of the sworn personnel qualified on them?

Not that I mind, y'unnerstan', that's more LEO turn-in guns to buy from AIM Surplus and other retailers. But if I was an agency manager, I'd have to be seriously persuaded that these guns are significantly better than what's currently riding in the holsters before committing the funds to make the switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Does SA do Glock-type buying the business move, where the agency cost is small?
    No, they don’t.

Nor have they done armorers classes or provided parts for prior products. SA has wanted everything sent back to the factory.

Not to mention a serious run at the LE market would include functional dummy and NLTA versions.

Other Glock/SIG competitors like S&W, FN and Beretta have all of the above in one form or another.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    I dunno about that. The M17's are about $230 a pop. This is similar but made in Croatia, I'm sure their cost is sub $200.

However, don't police agencies have a strong preference (requirement?) for buying US made weapons?
    Gun companies exist to make money, not guns.

Just because SIG bid lower for the MHS contract doesn’t mean 320/M17 are cheaper to make than Glocks.

The MHS / M17 is also a poor benchmark because a company could be wise to make a strategic decision to break even or even lose money on a contract like that because of the collateral sales such a selection would generate both commercially and among other institutions.

Nor is cost the primary driver for service pistol selection by anyone serious.

They have to meet minimum requirements first, then cost becomes a factor. Cost is not the reason no organization of any consequence issues SA XDs.

It’s priced $200 over its real competition. There are a ton of high quality, modern, feature packed options in the $400 price range right now. I see nothing about Springfield’s new offering that would make me spend the extra cash on it.
    They're <$600 on GunBroker right now, which puts them in the ballpark of the competition. I got tp put a mag through one, and I must say that the Croatians did pretty well with this one.

Will it kill Glock or the 320? No. Is it an upgrade over the XD? Oh, hell yes. I'd say it's going to be like the Hellcat, meaning that it will sell enough to make SA happy.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The LE pricing on this as well as the retail pricing puts it right in line with other manufactures offerings with the same feature set. I agree with HCM on this, they have some criteria they need to address if the want to make a serious run at LE.

I've shot and handled on pretty extensively, and does it do anything any better than Glock or Sig, not particularly, but their optics mounting system is far better than Glocks or Sigs, their Ergos are better, their trigger is better, and with the modularity aspect, al la Sig 320, there will be frame, slide and other options at some point. One aftermarket company already has proto frames in the works.

It's a solid option for department purchases if, and that's a big if they address the aforementioned items. As for IOP, several of my guys are already looking at them, me included. Personally I'm waiting for the G19 and G45 sized version to be released.

It's not groundbreaking by any means, but it is a feature packed and well thought out option to add to the mix. If I was looking for a striker fired pistol with the option of mounting an optic (undecided at the time) in the future, this would be at the top of my list.

Just because they are late to the party doesn't mean they should be counted out. Apple plays catch up with every other phones features, yet they sell a metric shit ton of Iphones, just saying.

TXPO
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

I don't think this pistol threatens Glock, but with this feature set, it might take a bite out of S&W, Walther, CZ, HK and Sig sales. How big a bite depends upon how the pistol performs and holds up, and how well SA supports it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Texaspoff View Post
    One aftermarket company already has proto frames in the works.

TXPO

Wilson?

User Tag List