Thread: Help Identifying Old revolver Grips

Help Identifying Old revolver Grips

A friend gave me a bag of "junk" from a family estate. Most if it was junk, including old 38 S&W and 32 revolver ammo, but here are some old grips I found. Can you tell me what I have?

Top Left are marked on the back "30A Square Short Butt, New Colt Detective Special (?), Diamond Coca (?)"

Bottom left appear to be mother of Pearl, heavy for their size

Top right are S&W of some kind, S&W logo in the medallion area, number "101678" scratched inside the right panel

Bottom Right appear to be the same shape as the top S&W, but have an owl face in the medallion area.

ULH corner are for a Colt Detective Special with short grip frame. In 1966 Colt shortened the grip frame on the D frame revolvers. These will also fit Cobras and Agents, Colt variations of the Detective Specials built with short gripframe.

The owlhead grip is for an old Iver Johnson revolver

The MOP grip could be for an i frame Smith and Wesson and the S&W rubber grip for a old DA S&W either a 32 or 38S&W.

There is a market for the Colt and S&W grips, just have to find the right guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    ULH corner are for a Colt Detective Special with short grip frame. In 1966 Colt shortened the grip frame on the D frame revolvers. These will also fit Cobras and Agents, Colt variations of the Detective Specials built with short gripframe.

The owlhead grip is for an old Iver Johnson revolver

The MOP grip could be for an i frame Smith and Wesson and the S&W rubber grip for a old DA S&W either a 32 or 38S&W.

There is a market for the Colt and S&W grips, just have to find the right guys.
    The UL look like Jay Scott grips, synthetic MOP with a stabilizing backer of impregnated laminate. Theres quite a few of them on ebay, you can see whats selling or getting bids price wise.

I think the LL and UR grips fit the same gun.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I dug out an old J frame and the mother of pearl on the lower left fit the profile, but are about a quarter inch too short on the bottom. Would that make it an I-frame? The black plastic S&W grips are even smaller than that.

Yes, to Jay Scott on the Colt grips, thanks. I found a set on gunbroker that have the same kind of markings on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by onehalfmvsquared View Post
    A friend gave me a bag of "junk" from a family estate. Most if it was junk, including old 38 S&W and 32 revolver ammo...
    Wait, what?

Did you ditch the junk ammo? Is there pictures? Are the boxes trashed? Some of us oddballs like old ammo boxes, and old ammo if its usable or really old and interesting.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Here's the ammo. I have no firearms in these calibers.

I have a gun that shoots 38 S&W...

Here's the ammo. I have no firearms in these calibers.

I have guns in both those calibers.

Deal Flamingo a couple boxes or whatever of the 38s if he wants some, Id be interested in the other stuff depending on price and shipping. I have a partial box of 38s, but no dies yet.

I can load for 32, but have no loaded ammo at the moment and no short cases, which id like to have a few. Someone here sent me some 32 long brass a while ago but Ive not been able to do much loading recently.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

not all the boxes are full. Please let me inspect each round in them. Is there a way to send a private message through the board?

not all the boxes are full. Please let me inspect each round in them. Is there a way to send a private message through the board?
    Yes, I just sent you one, you can reply to it, its probably easier that way than figuring it out cold turkey.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List