Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for wet weather training?

Tips for wet weather training?

Have a defensive handgun class tomorrow and the forecast is calling for some rain (with ambient temps 74-84 deg F and winds 7 to 9 mph). In the 11 years or so I've been regularly taking classes, if it rains, this will be the first rain (although I've had snow during class before).

I'm sort of half hoping for some rain, just for the "if it ain't raining, you ain't training" experience.

What advice do those of you who've "been there, done that" have for training in the rain? Extra things to bring? Tips?

Shoot a Glock with a Kydex holster.

Lightweight Gortex with a hood. Waterproof shoes. Foamie earplugs in your bag for when your electronic muffs short out. Hat with a brim. A dry cloth to keep cleaning the water off your glasses.

A complete set of dry clothes in the car including underwear, socks and shoes.

Hydrate even though you might think you don't need it.

If you’re planning to shoot the class from concealment such as AIWB, pack a duty belt style rig as well if you own one. If the rain is bad enough and you’re wearing your rain gear you might have issues safely drawing and reholstering from under it. Having the battle belt will allow you to continue training safely.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Great input all.

You are going to get wet with those temps and/or because of sweat to boot. You are not going to go hypothermic so you have that going for you.

I am not a goretex fan absent a relatively narrow band of conditions/temps as they do not breath as much as "Neoshell" or other fabrics. Indeed< I would strongly consider a modest set of Frogg Toggs, usually available at wal mart.

Your "battle" belt can be as simply as an oversized Wilderness 5 stitch, a couple of Safariland #71 Universal Mag Pouches and one of their simple kydex outside the waistband holsters. You can cinch it around your rain slicker or use 4-8 belt keepers and attach it to your primary belt. Mine have evolved a bit to include a dump pouch etc.

Name:  E050ED7C-59DF-4BD6-A078-4CCDDD492CE0.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  39.9 KB
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 06-30-2023 at 01:28 PM.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    You are going to get wet with those temps and/or because of sweat to boot. You are not going to go hypothermic so you have that going for you.
    Absolutely false, you can very much get hypothermic in 84 °F if you get wet, it simply depends on your activity level, how hot you usually run, and how wet you get. We definitely have seen folks get hypothermic in such temperatures during monsoon season out here in the desert after they get soaked.

I am not a goretex fan absent a relatively narrow band of conditions/temps as they do not breath as much as "Neoshell" on other fabrics.
    GORE-TEX is a brand, not just a single product, as is Neoshell. There are definitely some GORE-TEX products that, while not quite as breathable as the more breathable waterproof Neoshell, is actually pretty close, while in theory being much more waterproof. I also would not rely on the breathability of a waterproof membrane anyway for any kind of physical activity, and would still absolutely want zips in general to help dump heat to keep from sweating to begin with.

Consider getting a set of rain over pants to keep your regular ones dry. Rain jacket with OWB rig as mentioned above would also help, especially if you were to wear rain over pants. The ones I have are elastic with drawcords that could be a safety issue if not carefully observed.
    I have a random rain jacket that does a decent job of keeping me dryish.
    If using an open emitter RDS such as RMR, be prepared in case you see many dots due to rain getting in the emitter.

Site Supporter
    D3

WE could we both stop breathing in the next 60 sec- it is possible, but highly unlikely.

I will amend- it is extraordinarily unlikely he is going to go hypothermic in 84 degree heat with wind in the vast majority of shooing class scenarios, particularly when the student has been to 11 other classes.

I concede hypothermia is a possibility.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

D3

WE could we both stop breathing in the next 60 sec- it is possible, but highly unlikely.

I will amend- it is extraordinarily unlikely he is going to go hypothermic in 84 degree heat with wind in the vast majority of shooing class scenarios, particularly when the student has been to 11 other classes.

I concede hypothermia is a possibility.
    I would strongly disagree with that assessment. 84 °F and wet with an 7 MPH wind is unlikely to get one hypothermic, but would certainly not be extraordinary if it did occur. 74 °F and soaked in 9 MPH, it would definitely become likely. Defensive handgun classes that I've been to often have a decent amount of downtime, and often did not have any serious physical component for the most part.

Is getting hypothermic unlikely overall for this class? I would say so, but the possibility is hardly as low as you seem think it to be, and I would still take precautions to actually try to stay dry rather than just roll around in normal clothes for the whole class just to see what it's like to shoot under such circumstances. If it was just the rain, with minimal wind, the danger would be lower, but something over 5 MPH while wet really compounds how much heat you can lose.

Hypothermia in higher temperatures is something my training stresses and my teammates have had to deal with in rescuing hikers that get caught in the rain in AZ summers.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 06-30-2023 at 02:20 PM.

Site Supporter
    D
    Thx for your experience and corrections.

I would note I suggested rain gear ie Neoshell/Frogg Toggs to mitigate getting wet and never suggested that the op should just train wet.

+1 on the recommendation for some sort of shell over pants. My last session was windy and raining at about 45 degrees. From waist to calf was soaked through and through after 2 hr session. Also, ball cap was shit for keeping water off eye pro. Maybe som sort of boonie hat?

Anyone have tips for eye pro? RainX? Mine kept water spots on the outside and/or fogging up on the inside. That was the biggest pain in the ass IMO having to stop and wipe them off every mag or half mag.

User Tag List