Thread: The Nutcracker Effect Grip

The Nutcracker Effect Grip

Now I understand it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVnArod8Adg
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    That’s pretty slick. I like that.

TPC is a gold mine for deep dives into concepts. If you have an analytical brain and are into shooting technique all their material is really good to look into.

I've tried various versions (Vogel, TPC) of this approach and found they add unneeded tension to the arms and especially shoulders. If the gun isn't moving inside the grip, I don't understand why adding more pressure is helpful. If the grip is solid, the majority of muzzle flip happens from the wrist up. So, even after this very well done video, I'm still puzzled by all the focus on gripping the gun harder, when locking the wrist is more important.

Nutcracker grip: the stated goal is "closing the gap" [4:35] between the backstrap and the hands. There are many ways to accomplish this, and this technique is one of them. Honestly it doesn't make much sense to me, given that the gap is already closed when we shoot SHO.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    If the gun isn't moving inside the grip, I don't understand why adding more pressure is helpful
    100%. The nutcracker is just one of many methods to add enough pressure into the back of the pistol without adding firing hand tension. If you don’t happen to have sufficient pressure due to anatomy or platform this a a way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I've tried various versions (Vogel, TPC) of this approach and found they add unneeded tension to the arms and especially shoulders. If the gun isn't moving inside the grip, I don't understand why adding more pressure is helpful. If the grip is solid, the majority of muzzle flip happens from the wrist up. So, even after this very well done video, I'm still puzzled by all the focus on gripping the gun harder, when locking the wrist is more important.

Nutcracker grip: the stated goal is "closing the gap" [4:35] between the backstrap and the hands. There are many ways to accomplish this, and this technique is one of them. Honestly it doesn't make much sense to me, given that the gap is already closed when we shoot SHO.
    I find that using my forearms to add pressure is a lot easier for me than just gripping hard with my hands. My instructor, who I know for a fact is an excellent shooter, told me that he struggled with his shooting for years and thought of giving up shooting, then he learned of and started using the nutcracker grip. His shooting went to a much higher level.

To each his own.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    I find that using my forearms to add pressure is a lot easier for me than just gripping hard with my hands. My instructor, who I know for a fact is an excellent shooter, told me that he struggled with his shooting for years and thought of giving up shooting, then he learned of and started using the nutcracker grip. His shooting went to a much higher level.

To each his own.

Randy
    Agreed about each person figuring out what works best.

I was exploring the mechanics of my grip, and there is a contribution from the triangle formed by the arms that creates some force at the rear of backstrap. So, maybe it can be more subtle than what I originally though by watching the video.

(It would take very bent arms to eliminate that arm pressure, and I can't imagine shooting like that).
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List