Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swimming Pool Installation Ideas

Swimming Pool Installation Ideas

We are seriously considering installing an in ground pool. I am looking for ideas from those that have one. We will not have a diving board or slide. But overall I DON"T know what I DON'T Know.

Depth options, 3-6 feet or 3-8 feet deep.
    What amenities, accessories..., do you have that you like or do not like?
    what would you do different, add or delete?

How big pool deck, what type of deck (plain concrete, stamped...), lighting in and around the pool, auto vs manual covers and vacuums, bird cage, building for pumps, chemicals supplies, pool equipment, floats... fencing and gates around pool, gazebo/building/lounge/table bar area.

Any and all ideas, advise and comments and pictures are wanted.

Lived in Florida since 1998. Had a pool put in with our last house build. I would not own another house with a pool, but that's just me.

On topic, I can go fish for what we ended up getting as far as equipment (pump, filter, etc). IIRC we spent around $40K additional to add the pool and cage. This was fall of 2020, so fairly recently. It wasn't large, maybe 5' deep, kinda kidney shaped.

Name:  IMG_1102.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  97.4 KB

Site Supporter
    Edge of lane

Before you sink too much time/talent/treasure in this, call your homeowner’s insurance agent and see what a pool will do to your rates i.e.

1. general increase
    2. NO coverage at all without coverage increase on the main policy and/or an umbrella
    3. NO coverage and it will trigger a cancellation (unlikely but possible)

Additionally, check your local zoning/general laws re perimeter fencing requirements what may be “legal” and what you may be comfortable with or your insurance co may be comfortable with could conceivably be 3 dif things i.e.

Law- 4 ft perimeter fencing around pool only

You- your existing 6 ft privacy fence with added good locks

Insurance co 4 ft around the pool IN Addition to the 6 ft privacy fencing you already have up etc. and/or a cover and/or some type of alarm system etc.

I have been on waters edge with a pool a couple of times and could not get the zoning right relative to set back etc. I very much want a house where I open a a sliding door from the bedroom and I am in the pool in 5 steps max.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Absolutely need to have a "beach entry" or some type of tanning shelf. Some way to be in shallow water, not on the deck, but not having to swim. A water lounge chair doesn't come anywhere close to this. Multi function, great for kids and adults. I would not ever consider building a pool from scratch without this feature. #FullStop We added one to our pool when we remodeled it a few years ago. No ragrets.

I very much prefer "pebble" finish to gunite. PebbleTek is the name brand people know. We used CrystalStones. Very happy. There are others. I like the texture and color options, seems more durable, less apt to fade or stain.

Definitely want some portion of the pool to be 8-feet. Sometimes you just want to tread water, or float in a tube without your feet on the bottom. Another must for me.

We do not have a motorized cover. My BiL is installing one in his pool and I am very jealous. If you have a lot of leaves in your yard, or small kids or pets, you will love this. Harder to do if you do something other than a rectangular pool.

If you live someplace hot and sunny, whatever you do for the deck, choose materials that shed heat. Walking on concrete when it's >100'F sucks. Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions... If I was starting over, I'd consider a small enough perimeter hard surface to keep water out of the grass and vice versa, and maximize the not-hot-to-walk-on-in-the-heat grass...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Absolutely need to have a "beach entry" or some type of tanning shelf. Some way to be in shallow water, not on the deck, but not having to swim. A water lounge chair doesn't come anywhere close to this. Multi function, great for kids and adults. I would not ever consider building a pool from scratch without this feature. #FullStop We added one to our pool when we remodeled it a few years ago. No ragrets.
    What are these?

We keep talking about getting quotes on a pool, but things are so stony here I’m skeered. One of the nearby neighbors had one put in, and we heard jackhammers for days.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Put a skimmer at each end, the wind will blow in different directions. Also, if you are able, plumb in a gravity overflow drain in the side of the pool so if it rains hard, you don't have to constantly pump water out of the pool.
    I have a salt pool with a sand filter, recommend that over any kind of cartridge filters and chlorination approaches.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    What are these?

We keep talking about getting quotes on a pool, but things are so stony here I’m skeered. One of the nearby neighbors had one put in, and we heard jackhammers for days.
    Jackhammers...... Not required unless your yard is full of rocks/stone/granite/etc... Entirely possible ...

Beach entry... There are many varieties that look WAY nicer than this, but this was a clear illustration of the concept.

Vs.... Floating lounge chair...

ETA... Me likey this... "Tanning shelf"... sudden drop into pool, instead of beach gradual entry.... At least one version is required...

Last edited by RoyGBiv; 06-29-2023 at 11:43 AM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Jackhammers...... Not required unless your yard is full of rocks/stone/granite/etc... Entirely possible ...

Beach entry... There are many varieties that look WAY nicer than this, but this was a clear illustration of the concept.

Vs.... Floating lounge chair...

ETA... Me likey this... "Tanning shelf"... sudden drop into pool, instead of beach gradual entry.... At least one version is required...

I like all of that. Is she included?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Lived in Florida since 1998. Had a pool put in with our last house build. I would not own another house with a pool, but that's just me.
    I go back and forth on getting a pool. What made you dislike it?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    I go back and forth on getting a pool. What made you dislike it?
    Pretty simple: It was a pain in the butt to maintain, had a chunk of recurring cost, and not being heated, we really could only use it in the summer (sounds weird for Florida, but there you go.) Oh and we opted for the close-mesh screen on the pool cage, which meant it reduced our solar gain during the day below what would otherwise be normal heating.

Against that was the fact we didn't, really, use it that much. I had previously had a pool in the big house in Orlando (40K gallons, diving board, etc.) and I guess forgot how much I didn't like having it back then, when we built the new place in Sarasota.

I get it, if you have kids, or can spring for the heated option, or just like to float around, or can deal with juggling chemicals, or put up with paying pool guy, no problem; but for me, I'd never have one again. I personally think a lot of people like the idea of having a pool a whole heck of a lot more than actually having a pool.

User Tag List