Thread: MOA

MOA

What is if any, the relationship between the Red Dot MOA rating and the value MOA/click on its adjustment screws? For example, a certain company makes red dots with ratings ranging from 1 to 6 MOAs but limits the adjustment screws to 1 MOA/click, then what determines how to pick the proper MOA for the Optic?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan912@centurytel.net View Post
    What is if any, the relationship between the Red Dot MOA rating and the value MOA/click on its adjustment screws? For example, a certain company makes red dots with ratings ranging from 1 to 6 MOAs but limits the adjustment screws to 1 MOA/click, then what determines how to pick the proper MOA for the Optic?
    There is no relation between the size of the dot and the increments of the mechanical adjustments. It has no bearing on what dot size to choose.

Dot size is chosen based on the balance of speed and accuracy needed to make the shot you need to make. Generally, Bigger dots for faster shooting, smaller dots for more precise shooting.

MOA is an angular unit of measurement.

MOA is the measurement of angle that is equal to 1/60th of one degree. This is also referred to as Minute of Arc. 1 MOA spreads about 1” per 100 yards. (actually 1.047”).

Think of a large gasoline funnel. If you look through the small end of the funnel, the further out you look, the wider the field of view.

So a 1 MOA circle would be 1” at 100 yards. A 2” circle at 200 yards would be 1 MOA. A 3” circle at 300 yards would also be 1MOA.

Coming back to pistol dots.

A 4 MOA dot would cover a 4” circle at 100 yards or a 1” circle at 25 yards.

1 MOA clicks would move the point of impact 1” at 100 yards or 1/4” at 25 yards.

Also there are companies that make RDS without discrete adjustment clicks (Shield RMSc, Sig Romeo Zero, C-more railway).

I think it is covered above by @HCM and @JCN.

One thing that might help is to see what MOA looks like at typical pistol range. I always have a hard time remembering the calculation, so I built a simple MOA Tabulator that does that for me.
    Name:  Screenshot from 2023-06-29 05-17-42.png
Views: 149
Size:  22.7 KB

User Tag List