Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best carbon ring cleaning routine for tight 22LR chambers?

Best carbon ring cleaning routine for tight 22LR chambers?

I’m having issues with my JP22 with a tight chamber and carbon ring plus lube deposits making the first chambered round when cold bind.

https://dayattherange.com/?p=10066

Basically what he described.

What’s your fastest, most efficient cleaning procedure if you didn’t care about durability… just reliability of function?

I’m thinking soak with CLR (which is what I use on carbon clogged MPX gas expansion chambers) and a brass jag plus patches?

My process is not fast as I usually let the firearm sit overnight. I basically plug the chamber and pour Kroil into the chamber. Let the rifle sit muzzle up overnight in a metal bucket in the garage as I hate the smell of Kroil. Brush it out the next day with a nylon brush patch wetted with Kroil and then swab it with patches until dry. Lube to protect chamber.

This is modified from a faster more abrasive process that uses JB Bore Cleaning Paste wetted with a few drops of Kroil on a nylon brush from a .243 bore. Rotate brush in chamber. Wait fifteen minutes or so and use dry patches to get the crud out. Once dry, lube the bore with your usual lube.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

What’s your fastest, most efficient cleaning procedure if you didn’t care about durability… just reliability of function?
    I have a Vudoo Gen 1 with between 10 and 20 thousand rounds through it. I was thinking about getting it re-barreled even though it's said that you can't wear out a 22 LR barrel.

Then I saw the video posted by Greg Roman of Vudoo. I followed his suggestions and I have my accuracy back better than ever. As I was typing this I began to think it sounded like an infomercial.

Bore Tech C4 is what you are looking for. I put some C4 on a 22 bore mop and insert it into the chamber I let it sit for a few minutes while I brush the bolt etc. Then I spin the mop in the chamber a few times and remove it. Then i run one patch wet with C4 and then 3 or 4 dry patches and I'm done. I no longer brush the bore. Some times I insert a nylon brush in the chamber after the wet bore mop and spin it a few times if I think there has been build up. If you have a lot of build up you might do this procedure a couple of times and use the nylon brush.

This stuff is like magic. I've been using it in the chambers of my 22 revolvers to help easy extraction.

@farscott and @BN thank you, gents.

I’m going to amend my process based off the feedback and try the bore tech on the bore mop and see how that loosens things up. I’m also going back to using a bent bore brush as a chamber flag while on steel challenge stages.

Site Supporter
    I use an oversized bronze brush, about a 24-25cal. My M17 is notoriously tight and that was the only solution that would work in the field (no time for chemical soaks).

Chris

Oversized brush. CLP/oil of your choice. It's all about the elbow grease. I mean, if you were an insane, OCD type, you could do the "dip" (50/50 solution of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide), but it's dangerous IF you're not smart about it (it's not hard to handle this safely). Scrubbing pads like Choreboy on your .22 brush with oil will also work.
    #RESIST

Does anyone use a boroscope to check their work?

I’m thinking of trying different techniques and trying to get a sense of how little time I can spend and get it taken care of.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Does anyone use a boroscope to check their work?

I’m thinking of trying different techniques and trying to get a sense of how little time I can spend and get it taken care of.
    I bought a Teslong bore scope specifically to look at the carbon ring on a Vudoo barrel.

https://www.amazon.com/Teslong-Bores...yABEgL7gPD_BwE

As far as removing the carbon ring, I chucked a nylon brush in a drill and went at it with Bore Tech Rimfire Blend.

Ordered test tubes

So I can put solutions in them and soak bore mops.

Then put the mops in storage.

Going to run some empiric tests on how long to soak in what chemical and how rapid build up before failures in a couple of different rimfires.

Chemistry…

Went to the range today to test a little bit with the 22LR rifle…

I had pretty good luck with CLP and brass brush on a HOT chamber.

Even after 1-2 shots, the chamber is warm enough that CLP starts smoking.

I soaked it on a big swab and let it sit and work in a little.

Then brass brushed it.

Subsequent shots felt very crisp and not sluggish like a dirty chamber.

Crispest it’s been for a while.

So I’m thinking that maybe I let chemistry work on my behalf and get the carbon before it bakes in.

I had previously used a 22LR bore brush as a chamber flag and I’m definitely going to do that again.

But probably warm CLP it too.

It seemed to work really well.

User Tag List