Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two Rifle Hard Case for Travel

Quote Originally Posted by masternave View Post
    I'm still holding out for the magpul case. I know it's unobtanium at the moment, but it seems well designed and addresses some of the things I disliked about my pelican. https://magpul.com/gear/daka-organiz...ard-cases.html
    What do you dislike about your Pelicans that Magpul has addressed? Just curious is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    What do you dislike about your Pelicans that Magpul has addressed? Just curious is all.
    Pelicans are amazing… two small quibbles that I think Magpul thought through from the marketing images:

• I think the case geometry will lend itself to not tipping while wheeling it around.
    • The latches look like they'd be easier to apply pressure to to get the solid lock/unlock.

But I'm kinda waiting on someone who isn't a youtube star to review one.

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post

Before that, asking if anybody has a favorite case that would work, or has +/- thoughts on SKB cases generally? The SKB cases that were in stock looked pretty substantial, but never used one.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

The SKB case that I have has been great. It has been beat up a little but keeps everything nice, safe, secure. The plastic does seem a little softer like someone mentioned but it does not impact durability just gets a little more dings and such. I like the latches as they are robust but also not a pain to operate. They are heavy and I usually will pack some other stuff in the case as well so I really like the wheels as they make transporting easier.

You cannot go wrong with either case just depends on some of the features/preference you want.

Edit to add: I don’t have issue with Magpul but I rather not have Magpul branded stuff, just saying.
    Last edited by EVP; 06-28-2023 at 10:48 AM.

The two rifles will fit into the 1720, but there's zero room for any padding around inside of case, or between the rifles.
    Dunno if this will address your problem, but someone here ( I think it was @Archer1440 ) suggested putting items in soft cases and putting them in the hard case, and I have successfully done that and it works well, IMO.

And if I special order one, and can't use it, it's returnable, but there's a restocking fee.
    Also there might be good reasons to not like Amazon, but they will take a return on pretty much anything for any reason, frequently without shipping.
    And for that matter Brownells will take anything back, but you might need to pay them the shipping.

The magpul case just came in stock for anyone interested and with cash: https://magpul.com/daka-hard-case-r44.html

Just got the SKB 3i-4719-DB case. Interior dimensions are 47"x19"x8". I talked to an SKB rep, who said that, depending upon the rifles' thicknesses, it was possible to put four rifles in the case (there's an intermediate layer of foam that would fit between the guns. I'm not sure about that (holding four), but there's plenty of room for two rifles, with scopes, which is what I was looking for.

Name:  SKB 4719-DB Casejpg.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  86.9 KB

Tossed in the first two rifles in the case in the above photo. The longer one has a 21" barrel, so there's plenty of room. The stubby one is my .22LR plinker.

The sides of the case have "hardish" foam glued on, and the layers are the cone-shaped foam, so the guns can be placed in the case, and no foam cutting is required. The two long pieces of foam are included to put between guns.

It's perhaps a bit more flexible than a Pelican, or the flexibility might be just because of its size. Time will tell . . .

The size will probably throw it into the oversize category. I'll have to wait and see if the airlines impose any extra charges.

Regardless, it'll certainly work fine for road trips.

User Tag List