Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who do we like for pinning and welding a muzzle device?

Who do we like for pinning and welding a muzzle device?

I'm contemplating building an AR with a 13.9" barrel. I want a rifle I can take with me on trips that is as short as possible, but doesn't require the NFA permission slip to leave the state. I had been saving for a Honey Badger pistol to fill that role, but given current events, I'm glad I held off on that purchase.

I remember back in the day Adco was the favored place for AR related work, but that's been several years. Do we have a gunsmith or vendor who is trustworthy and won't ruin the barrel or muzzle device? Especially important since the flash hider will double as a mount for a can.

Thanks in advance!

John Thomas at Retro Arms Works has done multiple pin & weld jobs for me...

https://retroarmsworks.com/

Great results, fast turnaround, fair prices.

No experience with anyone else.

-Rainman

I’d still go to ADCO.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I'm contemplating building an AR with a 13.9" barrel. I want a rifle I can take with me on trips that is as short as possible, but doesn't require the NFA permission slip to leave the state. I had been saving for a Honey Badger pistol to fill that role, but given current events, I'm glad I held off on that purchase.

I remember back in the day Adco was the favored place for AR related work, but that's been several years. Do we have a gunsmith or vendor who is trustworthy and won't ruin the barrel or muzzle device? Especially important since the flash hider will double as a mount for a can.

Thanks in advance!
    D.Wilson

SOLGW

Trajectory Arms only does AR work and so the work is superb. They have done several ground up builds for me and they are the softest shooting, 100% reliable ARs I’ve ever shot.

Another vote for John @ Retro Arms Works. Old school communication via email or phone (no online shop to checkout from), and you mail him your project details plus payment. It's worth it. Great guy to work with, good communicator, fast work/shipping, and his work is immaculate.

Here's a P&W I had him do recently:

This picture doesn't do it justice. Maybe it's the lighting but, by the naked eye you don't really see this unless you get really close.
    Name:  20230628_110422 - Copy.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  25.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20230628_110634 - Copy.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  49.8 KB

And because someone will inevitably ask.
    • Aero slick side upper, LMT MARS-L lower, FCD 2 stage NiB trigger
    • KAC SR-25 receiver extension (#25758), VLTOR A5H2 buffer, Geissele Super 42 rifle spring, FCD CN5F
    • Daniel Defense 14.5 mid, Centurion 9315 4-prong (I paid John extra to have him machine a small spacer for the flash hider, hidden under the overlapped section, to get it to 16"+)
    • Centurion C4 M-LOK 12"
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Steve at ADCO for me.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

ADCO had done several for me. Quick turnaround, and no issues.

Who do we like for pinning and welding a muzzle device?

I used ADCO once, years ago, and was disappointed. They left marks all over the MD, took quite a while, were expensive, and had zero communication IIRC. ADCO also gave me a weird vibe lately, I saw one of their guys on ARFCOM saying that they use crush washers all the time for suppressor mounts and it’s a non-issue. Literally everything I’ve ever known aside from those posts in that one thread was to not use a crush washer on a suppressor mount, to include statements from manufacturers. I know ADCO still gets a lot of work and surely it’d be well known if that was causing problems, but it does seem like a weird position when it’s so heavily accepted to be the other way.

John Thomas at RAW has done lots of work for me since then and has blown away my ADCO experience every time, in almost every way. Faster, cheaper, more and faster communication, and more aesthetically pleasing.

I used d. Wilson a few times when I was in CO since I could drive to his shop. Also highly recommended but he has a longer backlog than RAW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Tag List