Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: That moment when you realize you have no idea where 8 speedloaders full of GDHP went

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Glenn....you hit the screw...er, nail, right on the head for me with this ^^^!! At the risk of creating yet another thread drift, after the Phillips head screw was invented, why in THE hell did they keep making slot head, or whatever the proper name......is - screws? Seriously, can someone please explain to me what application is better served by a slot head vs. a Phillips head screw? Not to mention all the torx, etc. fasteners.
    I used a heavy 2-1/2 inch steel wood screw to secure the plastic hollow square post for the mailbox to the cemented-in pressure-treated 4x4 anchoring it. It was far easier to get a good bite on the slot-headed screw than it was a Phillips (which I had managed to strip out with the drill's screwdriver bit). When the going got hard, I put a wrench on the shaft of the screwdriver and leaned in to keep it in the slot. Worked pisser.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Better to do that than wash a pair of hiking jeans and forget about the kleenex in two pockets. Those shreds go everywhere in the load.
    Life with little kids.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Don’t forget the ink pen that made it through the wash and found in the dryer!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I still have a key ring bought in March, 1967, the cancelled check for my first Gun Digest bought in 1958, and the book itself. However, not long ago I discovered a shotgun that I had forgot about. I may have lost my mind but don't remember.
    I used to LOL at stuff like this, but no more--Coupla' days ago I found a Second Issue Colt Cobra that I forgot I had traded into earlier this year--Been wondering where that Springfield 911 went, NOW I remember! Guess it was bound to happen--This is the year I hafta' sign up for Medicare, oh boy!

Site Supporter
    I've washed the kleenex and grocery recipes.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    After some recent safe re-organization, I found a wrapped up bag with three Wilson Combat 8rnd 1911 magazines new in the package. I had no idea where they came from or when I bought them. I have only one 1911 and all this time I was still thinking 'I need to get a few more mags'. I hadn't yet, thank goodness.

Thankfully, '2020 me' was ready for this brain fart and left the receipt in the bag as well, indicating I bought them at the PX a few weeks after returning from my mobilization.
    $22 each, too! I wish I'd bought six....

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    JIS or die. It’s the ultimate hipster screw bit, looks like Phillips, but gets buggered to shit if you don’t use the special Japanese made screwdrivers that regular folks have never heard of.
    You've adjusted derailleurs from the land of the rising sun 😜

Gotta look for that dot. I found that the JIS screws were a better fit than your average Phillips but that could be cos I worked with good mechanics who were particular about tools and Shimano would sell you the right driver.

Anyone here used pozidrive screws? Like a Phillips but with a second, smaller cross, bits bite better and slip less but I think it's a European thing (only place I've seen them here is Ikea furniture) and the US leapfrogged them and went to torx

Site Supporter
    Wife lost Fenix E12 v2.0 EDC Flashlight. This a nice little flashlight that can live in your pocket as you lounge around the house and the lights go out. So I buy her another. A month later - it is under the bed, found when digging out some shoes. So we have an extra. Put it on a table in the main room (remember when they were 'living rooms').
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Keep in mind on phillips screws and drivers that theres quite a variety of shape and size differences. Most of us tend to think a phillips is a phillips is a phillips as long as its sort of close size wise, but getting the proper fits helps reduce screw head and driver tip damage.

Phillips still require a fair amount of inward pressure on the driver not to slip. If a driver tip starts to wear ans slip a lot, just toss it and get another, this is a big plus for replaceable tip drivers. Ive had far better results driving torx screws that any phillips. I used to buy the 20 lb or whatever larger size boxes of all the gold torx screws I used from 1 1/2" to 5 or 6 inch and some larger. First time I saw someone use one, he was standing on the top of a 6 ft ladder reaching as high as he could and driving a 3" screw one handed horizontally, with no slip. It was a revelation. Throw away worn tips or drivers, or recut them if possible with flat type, buy quality driver tips, but save the heartburn and aggravation and use better fasteners when possible.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Keep in mind on phillips screws and drivers that theres quite a variety of shape and size differences. Most of us tend to think a phillips is a phillips is a phillips as long as its sort of close size wise, but getting the proper fits helps reduce screw head and driver tip damage.
    General aviation (at least in the 90's) used Apex.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List