View Poll Results: Would you be interested in this light?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I would also participate in a pre-production group buy.

2 22.22%
  • Yes, I would strongly consider purchasing after they're available.

1 11.11%
  • Maybe....

6 66.67%
  • Not interested.

0 0%

Thread: Gauging Interest: Combat Flashlight Series

Gauging Interest: Combat Flashlight Series

This is another iteration of the CF Series of EDCLB lights I have assembled;

Length = 3-3/4 inches (3-7/8 with boot projection) | Weight = 3.8 ounces with 18350 Li-ion cell

This one is using the Malkoff E2HT head (500 lumens | 35,000 cd) but could use any of the Malkoff E2 heads including the BGV2 or E2 Super.

The tailcap is the Lumens Factory Z14/Z31 Style Momentary twisty tailcap with copper plunger;

The body is the excellent but will-we-ever-see-it-again Oveready E35 which takes an E-series head on the front, is Z-series diameter in the middle and uses a P-series tailcap on the rear.

This is truly a superb Lego for anyone who is a fan of the syringe grip.

So why is this light not already offered on the EDCLB website?

Short answer: the body has been out-of-stock for over a year. I purchased a few samples three years ago to build these Legos. Although Oveready states they're making more, they have yet to materialize. This is unfortunately not out of character for them: they have offered unique parts before, only to have them disappear from their site once they ran out and never to be seen again. I'm losing faith they'll actually be making more of these bodies.

That said, this Lego is just too good to ignore and let fall by the wayside due to availability issues of one component. If there was enough interest, I would make (the very sizable) investment to create my own engineering drawings and get quotes to have new bodies made. Of course the ROI is key here - I'd need to have some confidence these lights would sell so I'm posting a poll to gauge interest. I anticipate the selling price of the light would be around $250.

My thanks to all for taking a look and posting your response in the poll!
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

This is the other CF Series light I assembled using the same E35 body, Malkof E2XTD head and Lumens Factory Um00 momentary tailcap;

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Site Supporter
    I really like the idea of the light either as set up in the original post or with the Bodyguard head. However, I have multiple other funding priorities right now and would not want any assembled based on the hope that I would buy one anytime soon.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I really like the idea of the light either as set up in the original post or with the Bodyguard head.
    I envision this offering as the body and tailcap combo with a choice of heads, so the BGV2 head would certainly be an option. I also envision offering just the body, tailcap, grip ring and retention accessory as a "Z-conversion kit."

The big hurdle right now is the lack of availability of the body. I'm losing faith that Oveready is going to make them again so I'm looking into other options.

Yes, if it fits the BGv2 head, I’d be interested-especially if there’s a robust pocket clip option.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Yes, if it fits the BGv2 head, I’d be interested-especially if there’s a robust pocket clip option.
    The CD clip will fit, but the grip ring would have to be removed. It would also have to use a clicky tailcap to lock the clip in place.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    The CD clip will fit, but the grip ring would have to be removed. It would also have to use a clicky tailcap to lock the clip in place.
    Sounds like my kind of light
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Thanks to all who participated in this poll!

I am currently in the process of having engineering drawings made for a body using an E-series head, a P-series tailcap and a Z-series style body that will be optimized for this configuration. I will be sending the drawings out to several vendors for quotations and hope to have quotes in about 60 days. This is really the critical next-step that will determine if I can make more of these lights.

The final piece of the puzzle is the E2XTD head, which Malkoff has discontinued. The current Fat Boy model uses the E2XT head, which is rated at 500 lumens / 55,000 candela. Gene has offered to make more of the E2XTD under an EDCLB private label. The investment due to the MOQ would be substantial, but if the body comes to fruition it could make sense to proceed.

In the meantime I've been carrying this light with the Malkoff E2XTD head (650 lumens / 70,000 candela) head for quite a while as my EDC fight light. Frequent dry fire reps with my EDC pistol have shown that this light works really well with the Rogers-SureFire technique. Additionally the new Horizontal Belt Carrier has proven to be an excellent way to carry this light comfortably, discreetly and with easy access.

So what I envision (and am actively working toward) is a package with the EDCLB labelled E2XTD head, the proprietary EDCLB body with the Lumens Factory tailcap, and the EDCLB Horizontal Belt Carrier. It would be at that point that EDCLB evolves beyond Lego Land to a source of high quality, serious use lights not available anywhere else.

I will keep this thread updated with my progress.

User Tag List