View Poll Results: Does your agency have an annually required sustainment low-light/no-light shoot?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, required for all personnel

15 57.69%
  • Yes, but only required for certain personnel (ex: patrol vs investigators)

1 3.85%
  • No, but it's available/optional

4 15.38%
  • No, we don't do anything like that

6 23.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your agency have a mandatory annual low light/no light shoot?

Does your agency have a mandatory annual low light/no light shoot?

I've been talking to a few of you offline about this and getting a wide variety of feedback.

As an annual sustainment requirement (i.e. not basic/follow-on academy coursework), does your agency require an low-light/no-light shoot? For all personnel, or only certain personnel? Catch-all administration, or individually tracked?

This is just for the sake of curiosity and seeing what other agencies are requiring. Thanks for your participation, even if you just want to hit up the poll and don't want to post.

I'll start:

We are required to shoot an annual low-light/no-light fam fire. It is not individually tracked like your qualification, rather, during one of the qualification cycles (we're on trimesters), the HQ mandated post-qualification drill will be a low-light/no-light shoot. I guess it's generally an okay solution, but not great since there's risk for people to miss that low-light/no-light shoot if they're out of the office for that trimester due to a combination of when they qualified during the previous trimester and a combination of leave, being on limited duty for an injury, etc.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Retired, but "yes" for all sworn personnel with my former agency.

"Yes" for my LEOSA certification in NC as a retired LEO.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Not annually, but every 2-3 years I'd say.

Recruits get a block of low light/night courses both at the range (true low light, as well as low light with overheads activated, obstructed areas with deeper shadows, etc) and during practicals for structure clearing, etc.

Personnel wise, everyone with a merit rank gets the same training, regardless of assignment. Appointed ranks have their own range sessions, so major and up, and I *think* they always go during day shift hours.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Retired here, WV mandated one daylight and one low light requal for any LEO who works in low light conditions or could find themselves in low light several years ago. They also stipulated that the two requals had to be separated by X months, the number sticking in my head is three so agencies couldn’t just get by with one yearly range session.

Site Supporter
    Maryland requires annual low light qualification with duty and off-duty/back-up weapons. This applies to all armed LEO's. I believe this is also required for LEOSA qualification (at least, the county police require it).

Low light is not really defined which means anything goes(twilight, no light directly over the firing line, dark shades).

Course of fire only goes to fifteen yards rather than twenty-five for daylight qualification.

Agency I retired from has mandatory low/no light familiarization once a year. I say familiarization as it is not a defined course of fire and is not scored. Suggestion of a low light qualification were "strongly resisted."
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Recruits get one in the Academy, optional 8 hour Weapon Light class after that. No annual low light and suggesting one would be met with wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethang View Post
    Recruits get one in the Academy, optional 8 hour Weapon Light class after that. No annual low light and suggesting one would be met with wailing and gnashing of teeth.
    Retired also but same as this.

First four hours of the 8 hour “low light” course were taught from noon to 1600 at an outdoor range. Yes, it was daylight. It was pointless.

We’ve had at least one night shoot for as long as I can remember. Until last year it did not include firing the state qual in low light. I added that last year and will probably continue to do so. The state does not require it.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

We had a low light session every other year.
    The ordinary qual was shot in the afternoon, then "classes", a 2 hour lunch, and more "classes".
    At dark there would be a low round count famfire consisting of a few rounds at each yard line from 15 yards in. Scored, but with no penalty for abject failure.
    It always struck me as the poster child of court mandated training: do the absolute minimum to meet the loosest interpretation of the letter of the law that you can get past the City lawyers...and paperwhip until you get your hand slapped.
    2/3 plus of Patrol worked during the hours of darkness and every officer was subject to low light conditions 24/7.
    Never a word on use of WMLs which were (hand to God) prohibited during the low light exercise. Ya hadda use your handheld.
    I literally can't even.

User Tag List