Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: What is best weapon to carry when you can't carry a firearm?

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Have fun?
    A tremendous amount. ECQC is one of the best things I have ever done for myself.

I'll eventually write an AAR detailing the fun, but for now, the first sims round that I got shot with landed right on my gentleman's sausage. FUN

The original question essentially is what is the "best" alternative to carrying a firearm. Most effective? Most convenient? Most likely to be used? Most favored by your lawyer? etc..So (in my opinion) "best" can be defined in many ways. I'm just trying to contribute to the discussion and would like to add that stun guns seemed to have come a long way in the last few years. Recently I bought a rechargeable stun gun that is about the size of a pack of cigarettes (for about $50). I forget the number of volts (2 million maybe). It has a lanyard that disables it if it is taken away from you and is extremely inconspicuous to hold in your hand. Not to be confused with tasers these "new" breed of stun guns seemed to be a viable option, especially in warmer areas where heavy clothing is not a consideration. Of course it will only work if you are right next to the attacker but from my limited experience it should definitely cause a reaction and from personal experience they hurt like hell. Until they sell phasers that we can set on "stun" like Star Trek we have to make do with whats available.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    My girlfriend is not inclined to carry a firearm although she said she is willing to use something else. She does have pepper-spray, but it brought up an interesting question for me too since I can't carry "everywhere."

What is the next best alternative to a firearm?
    Mace/Pepper Spray;
    Taser;
    Stun-Guns;
    Knives;
    Tactical Flashlight stun guns;
    Expandable Stun Wands;
    Keychain attached

Combinations?

What's the consensus?

Thanks,
    CC
    Be advised, I skimmed through most of the posts before inserting my worthless .02 below.
    The best weapon is a positive mental attitude and the mindset to prevail at all costs.
    Mental preparation is huge, especially when getting into the use of labor saving devices on other animals and the ability to prevail. Survival is good but preservation is best.
    My option is the edged device as I carry an exposed fixed blade on my hip everyday along with 2 folders concealed.
    My wife is getting in the habit of carrying an exposed fixed blade on her hip but she does not fancy having as much metal on her person as I do. My daughter is being exposed to edged devices as well but she is not quite old enough to understand the great responsibility that comes with carrying a blade so she has not been affixed with one yet....soon though.
    Knives are intimate objects which require contact at sweat swapping, bad breath distances so the biggest hurdle is getting over the intimate nature of the device and the fact that there will be blood.
    I try to advocate daily use of the blade for whatever tasks it can be used for so the user understands its nature and doesnt end up seeing more of their own blood than that of other animals. I advocate using the knife to prepare meat so one understands its merits and its limitations. They can also get a feel for how muscle, tendons, ligaments and bone react to the device. Above all else, dynamic immersion in a realistic training environment where violence is habituated is key to building the muscle memory that will allow the user to lay down the hate without reserve.
    I presume we are all growed up enough to understand that violence is not a tool that is used to solve social problems. I will say that the mere presence of that big ass knife on the hip is a deterrent in and of itself and anyone that sees it understands what it can do. Predators dont pick hard targets, especially if they know it could cost them everything.

As a side note, being married to a certain device is not a good plan. Situationla awareness and improvisation are key factors in self preservation.
    Sometimes a rock to the head is the best option becuase its the only one.

Excuse the rant and forgive any grammatical errors.

SALUS
    Last edited by BLACK; 11-20-2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Added

I haven't not carried a gun in some time so I had to think what I carried! Knife, always, and usually more than one. It is devastating at close range. While probably not as deadly as a gun it causes immense trauma and is likely to end th attack. Pepper spray for longer distances and keeping that distance, and on the bicycle I carried an ASP baton.

The stun guns are a hit and miss. Over here, I think they are largely a miss, though.

Thanks, again, to everyone who contributed to this thread. It has changed my view on the value of carrying a knife and the limited value of a Taser/Stungun and raised the value of pepper spray. I also appreciated the mental attitude postings, and the use of a bright flashlight as a deterrence.

My girlfriend works at a hospital and they were recently required to attend a "violence in the workplace" training where she learned a number of self-defense tactics to fend off physical attacks. She showed me a few of them and I was very impressed with how quickly she was able to react and how well she was able to implement these relatively simple measures. She learned these very effective techniques in just 4 hours of training!!!

Here is my action plan for my girlfriend and my daughter:
    Purchase high intensity flashlights with holsters and lanyards so they can access them quickly;
    Purchase two fixed-blade knives with belt-mounted sheaths. I am looking at 2-3" blades;
    Purchase a half-dozen Stingers to put on keychains, keep in strategic places;
    Give them more practice with pepper spray deployment and make sure they at least two working mace devices;
    Send them to self-defense courses to reinforce use of physical tactics to escape a physical attack;
    Send them to a course designed to make decisions about when to use which defense tactics and general self-defense strategies.

I am looking for suggestions on the following:
    - Best type of knife/sheath for carry;
    - Good self-defense courses in Richmond and NoVa areas that will teach them the use of these devices and self-defense strategies.

Thanks,
    CC

Paul Moore just sent me a picture of the knife and trainer he made for me.

Nice blades. I bought a very similar PM knife from a forum member here about 9 months ago.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by BLACK View Post
    I will say that the mere presence of that big ass knife on the hip is a deterrent in and of itself and anyone that sees it understands what it can do. Predators dont pick hard targets, especially if they know it could cost them everything.
    Leaving aside the argument of who criminals pick to jack up, I have to say that in a lot of environments, and certainly where I live, a "big ass knife on the hip" is simply a no-go. Were I to open-carry my heater, as long as I was well-groomed and wearing neutral clothing, most folks wouldn't bat an eye. A gun on the hip in that situation registers to most people as "cop". (And even then, the occasional remark or question is enough to get me to wear a gun burkha, because I ain't got time for that.) A big knife on the hip is going to either read to passersby as "Jason from Camp Crystal Lake" or "Weirdo Who's Escaped From The Renaissance Faire And Could Go Aurora Batman Premiere At Any Moment".

Further, I question the willingness of someone who is not willing to pack a J-frame to strap on their Crocodile Dundee every morning, even if you get them a sheath that matches their Dooney & Bourkes and is dress-code compliant at the bank.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Gotta agree with Tam; seeing a big knife on someone's hip in public doesn't impress me in the slightest.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Gotta agree with Tam; seeing a big knife on someone's hip in public doesn't impress me in the slightest.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Yep. What ever happened to keeping a low profile? Staying off the radar? I'd just assume everyone I meet on the street forget me 5 seconds after seeing me.

One thing I learned by a mom that didn't hesitate to dole out a bit of corporal punishment: a low profile is the only way to go.

User Tag List