Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apples new iPads and stuff

Apples new iPads and stuff

New new iPad, no big deal to me but a few fanbois I know are pissed about their old new iPads suddenly becoming "obsolete".
    Around my house the wife is still happy with the iPad2, so it's all good.

Not impressed with the new Mini iPad, a $130 premium on a $329 item is a bit much IMO.
    I can buy a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7" WiFi for $199 and install a 64GB card in it for another $30.
    7" tablets are "disposable" items around my house and the extra $130 is a step too far.

The new iMac looks cool but it's still a "desktop computer" and cutting the depth down a few millimeters isn't that big of a deal, it's like arguing over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

I do like the new Mac Mini, but a GPU boost would have been nice. I may pick up a Mini for my office desktop instead of keeping my MB-Air hooked up all the time.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Agree about Apple missing the boat with the mini. Just too much money when you look at what it is competing against. Was hoping that they would keep it price competitive with the Nexus. $299 for a 16gb unit and they could have hurt Google. @ $329 even this Apple fanboy is gonna have to pass.

The upcoming Nexus 7 32gb smokes the Mini.
    #RESIST

The mini doesn't even have the higher resolution retina display. I was thinking about smashing my piggy bank and buying one till I found this out. Like many of apples stockholders, I'm a little worried about Apples new management.

We are diminished
    I just picked up a new Retina 2.6 MBP. My old MBP just started having little intermittent issues and I decided to replace before it was too late.

Got home and discovered two things a smart consumer would have checked in advance:

• the magsafe power cord is slightly different, meaning the FOUR power cords I have at home are all immediately obsolete unless I further invest in adapters... in which case my wife and I will have to juggle the adapter between her pre-Retina and mine.
    • there is no freakin' ethernet port on the Ret. Transferring everything over from the old computer via wifi is going to take 6+ hours! So that's another adapter I have to buy.

Apple: It just works (adapters sold separately)!

Loving my 32gb Nexus 7 I got for $250.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    The upcoming Nexus 7 32gb smokes the Mini.
    The display on the iPad Mini should make anyone cry. It is terrible. Not sure how anyone could want it.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I just picked up a new Retina 2.6 MBP. My old MBP just started having little intermittent issues and I decided to replace before it was too late.

Got home and discovered two things a smart consumer would have checked in advance:

• the magsafe power cord is slightly different, meaning the FOUR power cords I have at home are all immediately obsolete unless I further invest in adapters... in which case my wife and I will have to juggle the adapter between her pre-Retina and mine.
    • there is no freakin' ethernet port on the Ret. Transferring everything over from the old computer via wifi is going to take 6+ hours! So that's another adapter I have to buy.

Is the unit also sealed aka no way to upgrade memory??

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

Todd just out of curiosity how old was your old MBP before it started having issues?

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Is the unit also sealed aka no way to upgrade memory??
    Yes, but that doesn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skold View Post
    Todd just out of curiosity how old was your old MBP before it started having issues?
    Three and a half years of constant travel.

User Tag List