Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 1911 field strip methods

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I think the flat wire spring design idea came from Glock, so you now can have the same creaky screen door sound as your favorite Glock.
    Funny, now you mention it, it sounds EXACTLY like a Glock now.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Just a quick footnote and question: I ordered a Wilson Flat-wire Recoil Spring kit, part no. 614 (17# spring, guide rod, shok-buff). I installed the spring and guide rod today. Have to say, the feel is noticeably different with the flat wire spring. I'm headed to the range this week and I'll try it out, and also see if it helps me in assembling/disassembling the gun with the slide stop first method.

One thing I noticed, during dry practice, running the slide, the spring sounds like a creaky screen door. Is that normal, I guess?
    I found it did feel different when I shot my 1911 with a flat wired spring, but it went away in a few magazines.

Another, older perspective. I gather this was from when Rob was working at LB, but not 100% sure on that.

Takeaways I got from this are to unload the bushing from the barrel by moving the barrel forward an inch or so, before turning, and to press the recoil spring in with your thumbs before lassoing it in the slide, just before putting it on the frame. Reason I stumbled on this is I am fiddling around with a new barrel bushing from EGW in my Garrison, and it's a good bit tighter than the stock bushing, so I was looking for good ideas on how to deal with it.

RJ,

thats when Rob owned the original AWC.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

User Tag List