Thread: Torque screw drivers

Site Supporter

Torque screw drivers

I read the instructions on various installations of sights or other accessories. They mention that you tighten it to a specific value of torque. Torque screw drivers are expensive. One could go to a gunsmith - that costs. I have a friend with such but he tends to screw up (no pun intended). You need to buy all kinds of bits.

So buy one for usage every two years or so, go to the smith? Thoughts?
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Buy a good one , if it messes up and breaks off a screw you will wish you had. Pay now or pay later in $ and time.

I primarily use a Wheeler FAT Wrench which is fairly affordable and hasn’t failed me yet. My office has a set of Fix It Sticks that the prior firearms guy ordered and I like them a lot but they are more expensive than the FAT Wrench.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

there are other threads on this topic

Torque Wrench
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Torque-Wrench

Torque Wrench Recommendations?
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ecommendations

"To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

Site Supporter
    Should have searched, thanks for the links.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Hi Glenn - I second the Wheeler FAT Wrench. but not the digital one, the analog "break-over" type. Digital torque wrenches are possibly more accurate, but fussy and hard to get accurate torque without some finesse. Analog torque wrenches are easy to set up, and easy to apply - just twist slowly until it clicks, then two more times, and done. I have used both and vastly prefer analog.

The Wheeler FAT wrench comes with a Certificate of Calibration, as well as a set of bits. (one it doesn't is a Torx T10, but these are not expensive and your optic / sight / scope may not require T10).

I have fancy torque wrenches for cars and for guns.

I don’t use them anymore.

Mainly because my hands are amazingly calibrated….

But also because the torque numbers and requirements change depending on the viscosity and dryness of the thread locker…

So a given torque rating may not be what a screw really needs depending on how new, fresh, clean and re-prepped the surfaces are.

Same as wheel lugs.

I have not had an issue in much use and many installations.

I use a Wheeler but not the digital type. I’ve installed a lot of optics and haven’t had a customer voice a complaint yet.

I don’t remember paying very much for it and have used it on scope/ring installations as well.

User Tag List