Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New 357 Magnum Load from Federal

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    I just came back from the local range, indoor out to 50 yds. Rainy day, pretty busy. Not a revolver in sight, and that's typical. The few revos I do see on occasion are almost always J-frames. Outside of folks like those at P-F, how much demand is there for .357? Some, but it's probably spotty. Introducing a new round and sprinkling a little around keeps the enthusiast fringe interested and paying attention, in this case to Federal, but we all know it's not where the real $$ are. It's really a boutique item at this point.

While I have two .357 revos, I only actually shoot Magnums out of the L-frame; the K became a .38 only gun after the last time I shot .357s out of it. Age and a bit of arthritis have adjusted my shooting habits and will, inevitably, continue to do so in the future. I'm sure I'm not alone. How many newer shooters are interested? Bottom line, I'm kinda surprised Federal bothered with a new .357 load, though it does give folks something to talk about.
    Yeah, well, they seem to have poured a lot of effort into the .30 CDNN Special. (OK, "Super Carry")
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Another controversial clear gel test, but this shows the velocity of the classic Remington 158 grain load. Great general purpose round that clocks around 1,300 fps from a four inch tube. I am glad to see that it has started popping up again in my neck of the woods. A 158 grain bullet at 1,300 fps is nice in a mid size revolver. Hopefully, this new Federal load delivers on advertised velocity from a typical four inch barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by JWintergreen View Post
    Another controversial clear gel test, but this shows the velocity of the classic Remington 158 grain load. Great general purpose round that clocks around 1,300 fps from a four inch tube.
    That Remington load averaged 1158 fps from a 3" GP100

Very good performance

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    That Remington load averaged 1158 fps from a 3" GP100

Very good performance
    It usually averaged 1200-ish from my 4" 681. When I carry the 681, that's what's in it.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

I bought several hundred of the bullets years ago and load them over 14.5 grains of IMR 4227.

It does about 1240 out of a 4” 66-7, which has a tight .003 b/c gap.

Site Supporter
    My department had a single OIS in 1989 with the 158 SJHP load. All were impressed, especially the guy with the silver dollar sized exit wound that he received for pointing a gun at an officer.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I bought several hundred of the bullets years ago and load them over 14.5 grains of IMR 4227.

It does about 1240 out of a 4” 66-7, which has a tight .003 b/c gap.
    I think the typical factory rating of 1235 or 1240 is about perfect for an all-around 158 grain load.

Enough Power Factor for bowling pins.

Enough foot pounds of energy for legal deer hunting.

Enough velocity for old-school hollow-points.

Enough recoil for a potential self defense cartridge.

I really hope the 1340 fps listing for the HST is a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    That ballistic data stated it was from a 4" barrel. Probably not vented though as it didn't state as much.
    That could possibly mean that the 154 grain HST would be closer to 1270 fps from a 4" revolver.

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: Cylinder Gap Test
    http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/federal.html

I can accept that. It would be very comparable to an 158 grain bullet at 1250 fps

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Any thoughts on Remington 145grn Silvertips?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Any thoughts on Remington 145grn Silvertips?
    Silvertips are produced by Winchester.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

User Tag List