Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New 357 Magnum Load from Federal

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Are clear gel tests probative of anything?
    No.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Are clear gel tests probative of anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    No.
    While I agree, for some loads - notably old-school .357 Mag loads - clear gel tests are all that are available. There would be no ROI for the ammo companies to invest time and resources in by-the-book ballistic gel tests for rounds for which there's no chance of agency sales.

My understanding is that for rounds for which both clear and ballistic gel tests are available, in general, clear gel shows more penetration and less expansion.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Site Supporter
    The ammo companies don't seem too interested in .357 Magnum development at any significant level. I find that odd, given the amount of time they've all spent getting their 147 9mm performance to a good level. While I know it wouldn't be an immediate jump to success, I believe that those same 147 grain bullets could easily be engineered into excellent service performance .357 loads that could be done at reasonable pressures. Coming from the era of carrying .357 Magnums as the main man killer of the day, I know that it's a feast or famine cartridge, performance wise on human/medium game targets.

Wish that 145 STHP load had been refined and continued in production at solid levels. It was the best and there are 10% gel results from FBI testing that confirmed that.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    ^^^^I agree. Bumping that 147-grain bullet to .357” and placing the cannelure appropriately for .357 Magnum brass and retaining the ~1000 fps velocity would make a great .357 Mag-lite round that would shoot to the sights in older fixed-sight K frames, unlike the Golden Sabre and Critical Duty rounds.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    The ammo companies don't seem too interested in .357 Magnum development at any significant level. I find that odd, given the amount of time they've all spent getting their 147 9mm performance to a good level. While I know it wouldn't be an immediate jump to success, I believe that those same 147 grain bullets could easily be engineered into excellent service performance .357 loads that could be done at reasonable pressures. Coming from the era of carrying .357 Magnums as the main man killer of the day, I know that it's a feast or famine cartridge, performance wise on human/medium game targets.

Wish that 145 STHP load had been refined and continued in production at solid levels. It was the best and there are 10% gel results from FBI testing that confirmed that.
    This is the company that spiked 12ga 8 pellet FC while investing in .30SC.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Bumping that 147-grain bullet to .357” and placing the cannelure appropriately for .357 Magnum brass and retaining the ~1000 fps velocity .
    I would buy a case of those to keep my K frames as magnums instead of the .38 launchers they actually are today. I think the only thing close in concept is the 357 135gr gold dot which they never seen to produce any more.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Ill try that. 154@ 1340fps sounds awesome.

Probably 12something from a 4" gun though.
    That ballistic data stated it was from a 4" barrel. Probably not vented though as it didn't state as much. Looks to be a nice round if we ever see it.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I would buy a case of those to keep my K frames as magnums instead of the .38 launchers they actually are today. I think the only thing close in concept is the 357 135gr gold dot which they never seen to produce any more.
    I'd buy a bunch for my L&N-frames. I'd stick with .38+P Ranger for K-frames. I don't enjoy firing magnums from K-frames.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I don't enjoy firing magnums from K-frames.
    Me either but the 135 gold dots were just above 38 special +P, my log says I chrono'ed one batch at 925 fps out of a 2.5" M19 and 940 out of a 3" M65. I can shoot those all day. If they got this 147 set at a nominal 1000 fps from the test barrel I think we are looking at similar recoil and velocity. Enough to know the bullet would do its job just like it does in 9mm's.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

I just came back from the local range, indoor out to 50 yds. Rainy day, pretty busy. Not a revolver in sight, and that's typical. The few revos I do see on occasion are almost always J-frames. Outside of folks like those at P-F, how much demand is there for .357? Some, but it's probably spotty. Introducing a new round and sprinkling a little around keeps the enthusiast fringe interested and paying attention, in this case to Federal, but we all know it's not where the real $$ are. It's really a boutique item at this point.

While I have two .357 revos, I only actually shoot Magnums out of the L-frame; the K became a .38 only gun after the last time I shot .357s out of it. Age and a bit of arthritis have adjusted my shooting habits and will, inevitably, continue to do so in the future. I'm sure I'm not alone. How many newer shooters are interested? Bottom line, I'm kinda surprised Federal bothered with a new .357 load, though it does give folks something to talk about.

User Tag List