Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Setting up my 442 for pocket carry

Site Supporter
    Over the last 6 month's I've spent a fair amount of time and a couple of case's of ammo and a ton of dry fire with 38 snub's with the intent of pocket carry for npe or a second gun, after recently picking up a 642 pro which I'm finding preferable to my LCR for the intended pocket carry I'm curious about thoughts on snub laser grip's. I've become completely sold on RDS's but could never really get with handgun mounted laser's, got one one an LCP that my beat up hand's can't shoot for shit and has been in the safe for a dozen year's. I can do fairly well with the snub's now to 7+ yds but, wondering if laser grips might offer an edge for a pocket carry. I've found Mirka and Desantis pocket holster's work best for my pocket needs so far but, I'm carrying in Carhartt jean's, I've just found Kydex pocket holster's uncomfortable, been tempted but haven't tried Aholster...yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    Blues, what's your preferred AIWB holster for small frame revolvers?
    Harry's Holster "Icon" or Dark Star Gear "Apollo". (Both of these, which I own, are a few years old and may have been updated since.)

The "Icon" gets more of the day to day carry.

Name:  harry1.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  82.0 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender (3).jpg
Views: 391
Size:  73.5 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Speedloaders are a PITA for revolver concealed carry. I have a horsehide (I forget who made it and I'm too lazy to go look) pocket holster that works well for my 442, IF THE POCKET IS ROOMY ENOUGH. I guess I didn't need to capitalize that so maybe it's just to remind myself. I have a lot of pants that don't have the room. I hate buying clothes as I'm not an easy fit. Anyway, when I carry, I use speed strips.

Back to speedloaders. I think I still have one of the old Rogers speedloader holders for concealed carry. It is for k-frame loaders which, of course, hold 6 rounds. Essentially, it wraps around your belt and stuff your belt in the middle of the speedloaders. Half the rounds on the inside of the belt and half on the outside and the Rogers "pouch" holds it all together. Really quite a nice setup in the appendix position. With the obligatory Hawaiian shirt of the era it was was a really good way to carry two speedloaders with your 2 1/2" M66. Bringing the diversion back around, if someone made such a rig today, it "might" work with a 5 shot J-Frame speedloader.

I like the Safariland J-C7 COMP I Speedloader for its simplicity and ease of use.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    I like the Safariland J-C7 COMP I Speedloader for its simplicity and ease of use.
    My reading lead me to think these are a good option. Ordered, thank you!

I hope this doesn’t turn into a “nope nope nope” thing.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    My reading lead me to think these are a good option. Ordered, thank you!

I hope this doesn’t turn into a “nope nope nope” thing.
    I don't think it should. We each have preferences based upon experience or what we're comfortable with.

Very true. The whole cargo shorts things is all new for me, so I have no idea how this will go. But, enough other people get along with it just fine, and I’m not a special snowflake (at least not that way.)
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Very true. The whole cargo shorts things is all new for me, so I have no idea how this will go. But, enough other people get along with it just fine, and I’m not a special snowflake (at least not that way.)
    If you've ever worn Duluth Flex Fire Hose pants, the shorts are just the same fit...but shorter. They have enough body to carry a J very comfortably in the front pocket and hides it very well. (Recommended.)

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    If you've ever worn Duluth Flex Fire Hose pants, the shorts are just the same fit...but shorter. They have enough body to carry a J very comfortably in the front pocket and hides it very well. (Recommended.)
    I actually have two pair now, with a few more on the way. I also picked up some Red Head ones from Cabelas but haven’t taken the tags off yet in case I prefer the DTs.
    Ken

I have a pile of Comp-I's (ten?) and have had no real issues with them with various ammo types. I did have one deploy in a pocket, when I carried it stuffed in there with other things that happened to fit in the middle of the rounds and push on the center button. Learning occurred. Don't carry a bunch of crap in the same pocket as your reload. I got most of mine from Amazon, by carefully watching for their warehouse deals, as they used to often drop to the $7-8 range fairly often.

Safariland makes (made?) a "Split Six" style over the belt speed loader carrier, and it'll work with both 6 shot and 5 shot Safariland Comp-I type loaders. I think maybe Desantis or someone else also makes a similar carrier still.

Speed strips are infinitely more concealable in hot summer day attire. I really wanted to try a Jox loader pouch with Comp-I's, but it seems he's not ever going to make them again. I keep thinking I need to try to home brew copy his pouch, but haven't.

User Tag List