Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Titanic tourist submarine is missing.

Site Supporter

Titanic tourist submarine is missing.

But wait for the next post when I show you the submarine and you realize that “nothing bad will ever happen to me” isn’t just a mindset related to self-defense it looks like it’s an all encompassing life philosophy for some folks.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65953872.amp

A massive search and rescue operation is under way in the mid Atlantic after a tourist submarine went missing during a dive to Titanic's wreck on Sunday.
    Contact with the small sub was lost about an hour and 45 minutes into its dive, the US Coast Guard said.
    Tour firm OceanGate said all options were being explored to rescue the five people onboard.
    Tickets cost $250,000 (£195,000) for an eight-day trip including dives to the wreck at a depth of 3,800m (12,500ft).
    ADVERTISEMENT

Government agencies, the US and Canadian navies and commercial deep-sea firms are helping the rescue operation, officials said.
    Titanic's wreck lies some 435 miles (700km) south of St John's, Newfoundland, though the rescue mission is being run from Boston, Massachusetts.
    The missing craft is believed to be OceanGate's Titan submersible, a truck-sized sub that holds five people and usually dives with a four-day emergency supply of oxygen.
    On Monday afternoon, Rear Adm John Mauger of the US Coast Guard told a news conference: "We anticipate there is somewhere between 70 and the full 96 hours available at this point."
    He also said that two aircraft, a submarine and sonar buoys were involved in the search for the vessel but noted the area in which the search is taking place was "remote", making operations difficult.
    Rear Adm Mauger said the rescue teams were "taking this personally" and were doing everything they could to bring those on board "home safe".
    Hamish Harding, a 58-year-old British billionaire businessman and explorer, is among those on the missing submarine, his family said.
    On social media at the weekend, Mr Harding said he was "proud to finally announce" that he would be aboard the mission to the wreck of the Titanic - but added that because of the "worst winter in Newfoundland in 40 years, this mission is likely to be the first and only manned mission to the Titanic in 2023".
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I suspect that being 2.5 miles deep is an environment that is more hostile to humans than being in Earth orbit. And they’re doing it in a craft that looks like a kludge-mobile.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Yeah they’re probably dead. Jesus, I love me some USCG but the mere mention of a rescue effort 900 miles east of Cape Cod makes my blood run cold.

Maybe they forget to charge the controller?

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    Yeah they’re probably dead. Jesus, I love me some USCG but the mere mention of a rescue effort 900 miles east of Cape Cod makes my blood run cold.
    We coordinated rescues that distance and farther from the east coast. Often it was AMVER or Air National Guard assets that die the actual rescue. For instance, in one case PJs parachuted out of a C130 to help burn victims on a merchant vessel. They were onboard for days. I think they went to the Azores but I might have that wrong.

In this case the “hundreds of miles off the coast” is less off a problem than the “thousands of feet under water” part.

The real solution would be for the charter company to start their well thought out, well rehearsed Lost Contact drill and launch a second, rescue submarine that is ready to go out at a moment’s notice.

I’m guessing this outfit is totally unregulated so the real response was “Oh shit! Now what?”
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

As Tom Givens says, most gunfights take place within the length of a 5-man, Xbox controlled, jerry-rigged submersible.

Site Supporter
    I could think of multiple better uses for $250,000.

Some of the possible rescue proposals I see from the armchair commentators for various news sources are . . . not what I would hope for if I was . . . adventurous . . . enough to be on that sub.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    We coordinated rescues that distance and farther from the east coast. Often it was AMVER or Air National Guard assets that die the actual rescue. For instance, in one case PJs parachuted out of a C130 to help burn victims on a merchant vessel. They were onboard for days. I think they went to the Azores but I might have that wrong.

In this case the “hundreds of miles off the coast” is less off a problem than the “thousands of feet under water” part.

The real solution would be for the charter company to start their well thought out, well rehearsed Lost Contact drill and launch a second, rescue submarine that is ready to go out at a moment’s notice.

I’m guessing this outfit is totally unregulated so the real response was “Oh shit! Now what?”
    That second sub would have been the best suggestion I have seen so far. One of the biggest challenges seems to be simply getting something to that location capable of going that deep given the limited time available in the event that the passengers are still alive.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    That second sub would have been the best suggestion I have seen so far. One of the biggest challenges seems to be simply getting something to that location capable of going that deep given the limited time available in the event that the passengers are still alive.
    Exactly. Right now the USCG is flying a C130 to show they are Doing Something, but unless the minisub somehow managed to blow tanks and is bobbing around on the surface with no comms, its just PR.

Lots of money and time have been spent figuring out how to rescue a disabled military sub and despite all that there is a low probability of success.

Stephanie was exactly right when she said these people would be better off in near earth orbit.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List