Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Titanic tourist submarine is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    Except Florida man hasn’t gone squish after paying 250k to see the most storied wreck in western history. In a submersible that was innovative. But was doomed to failure at some point because “innovation”.
    Usually he goes squish via the 'innovative' use of 3rd hand airboat, a generous amount of cheap booze, and a gator on meth.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Haven't followed this thread in detail, so this may have been posted already...

https://www.barrons.com/news/titanic...-suit-76fecfa4

"OceanGate refused to pay for the manufacturer to build a viewport that would meet the required depth of 4,000 meters," the document said.
    Lochridge also "strongly encouraged" OceanGate to use a classification agency such as the American Bureau of Shipping to inspect and certify the Titan, the document said.
    "Rather than address his concerns or undergo corrective action to rectify and ensure the safety of the experimental Titan, or utilize a standard classification agency to inspect the Titan, OceanGate did the exact opposite -- they immediately fired Lochridge," it said.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Add to that it occurred at the site of the Titanic, a story which resonates with so many.

I've seen a few stories of how one or more of the victims is related some how to Titanic passengers. (Which could probably be said for a lot of people)
    Exactly. An eleventy billion dollar hit movie, and a story of hubris echoing hubris.
    It kind of writes itself.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    How long before Epcot makes it a ride?
    I’d trust Epcot before I trusted that submersible. I know I’m not finding Ariel for real in either venture. But at least Epcot has some risk analysis involved in engineering and building specialty equipment.

Hubris sunk the titanic. Lessons were learned. Hubris crushed the titan submersible and it’s a wonder why.

I’d trust Epcot before I trusted that submersible. I know I’m not finding Ariel for real in either venture. But at least Epcot has some risk analysis involved in engineering and building specialty equipment.
    For one, the ride would not actually be underwater.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Name:  IMG_4332.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  54.5 KB
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    For one, the ride would not actually be underwater.
    True. But my bank account is after visiting Epcot. Kinda the same

True. But my bank account is after visiting Epcot. Kinda the same
    I tell people in the Orlando airport security line that we're basically doing the same thing that we would be doing at Disney.

It reminds me of Chris McCandless who in 1992 gave away his $40K college fund and starved to death unsuccessfully living off the land in Alaska. He was totally unprepared yet waived off repeated warnings and in so doing perfectly exemplified Dunning-Kruger. Yet he somehow became a hero for adventurers and dozens of people have had to be rescued trying to reach the bus he died in. After a few drowned, the Alaska national guard had to fly the bus out by helicopter to prevent more such pilgrimages.

A fascinating tangent is that nothing punitive will likely come of this. CEO gone, the company likely insolvent and without the type of assets that might interest the heirs to billion dollar fortunes. For once, the legal end of this may be nothing, unless the lone French expert had kin that want to go after the UofW or something. Weird, and a strangely un-American turn of events.

PS.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List