Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546

Thread: Titanic tourist submarine is missing.

Site Supporter
    Might have told this before. My wife's step father work in a metals plant during WWII. They were making magnesium parts for planes. As the story goes, they had to periodically clean magnesium dust from the machine shop air ducts. They sent the new guy to do it. He did, covered with dust. Then it was break time and he went for a cigarette. While folks yelled NO - it was too later and he went up like a road flare as folks ran and jumped out windows (whatever). Looked like a cinder afterwards.

Another, two jobs ago - the gym had collapsible, folding bleachers, heavy wood and pipe construction. A workman was doing something to them and was inside the structure when it activated and folded up. Dead.

About the disposal - once in a while something gets grinded and stuck - like a can pop top. Down to the basement and throw the circuit breakers before dealing with it. Same with other electrical things. As a kid, I stuck a metal nail file into the wall socket - ouch.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    As a kid, I stuck a metal nail file into the wall socket - ouch.
    I put a Christmas tree ornament hook into a socket to see if it would fit. It did, and I still have a semicircular scar on my thumb and forefinger today (54 years later).

I held the prongs on the plug, plugging in the Christmas tree. 😬🤯
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Playing with my fathers keys as a very young child, I inserted his truck key into an electric socket.

Which may or may not explain certain behavioral issues later on
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

Site Supporter

No one told ME there was a thread drift going on!

Years after HEI ignition was made standard issue on GM vehicles (1975), yours truly was performing a tune up on a relative's car. In this case, the car in question needed a carburetor rebuild along with new plugs & plug wires, rotor, cap and the usual filters involved. The only excuse I have is that it was a long day, complicated by things like the necessity to pull the rf wheel to access one of the V6's right bank plugs. While I was adjusting the idle mixture screws (while it was running, natch), I began to slip a bit and in an effort to stabilize, I leaned towards the firewall and planted my left hand squarely on top of the distributor cap/plug wire loom. Standard output was rated 50K. I believe I got most of them that day.
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post

I lied, further thread drift. Best workplace safety video ever made:

The 2 new guys are supposed to get forklift qualified soon™ and we told them they'd have to watch this. When we started telling them about the movie one of the guys was "Cool, whatever" and the other guy was getting queasy just hearing about it. Of course he's the Mr Big Talk of the shop so it'll be fun to watch him squirm...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Years after HEI ignition was made standard issue on GM vehicles (1975), yours truly was performing a tune up on a relative's car. In this case, the car in question needed a carburetor rebuild along with new plugs & plug wires, rotor, cap and the usual filters involved. The only excuse I have is that it was a long day, complicated by things like the necessity to pull the rf wheel to access one of the V6's right bank plugs. While I was adjusting the idle mixture screws (while it was running, natch), I began to slip a bit and in an effort to stabilize, I leaned towards the firewall and planted my left hand squarely on top of the distributor cap/plug wire loom. Standard output was rated 50K. I believe I got most of them that day.
    It's worse when it's hooked up to a MSD box

User Tag List